What is the right age to feed sweets and chocolates for kids?

24 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I don't exactly remember when I started giving my child sweets, but I started giving her tiny bite of a chocolate after one year, just to see how she liked it. And whenever I used to have chocolate I started giving her little bits that could easily melt in her mouth. But I did not give her Indian mithai till she was three years. Myths are heavy so I did not risk giving to the little one before 3. And then I started off with a little bite of soft rasgulla. But whenever you start feeding your child sweets make sure to brush his teeth as tooth decay is a fast process in kids.

Read more

There isn't any right or wrong in when you should start giving sweet treats to your kids - I guess it really depends on each individual parent, where your views are on it. Generally I think it's fine for 12 months onwards to have some chocolate once in a really long while. Or something sweet like having a bite of my ice cream. But having said that, it's very much important not to overindulge kids in sweet treats as they will develop a preference over them and feeding time will be hell.

Read more
VIP Member

I would say up to your comfort level. My #1 diet was VERY strict as he gets sick too often that I'm restricting all sweets, biscuits, chocolates out of his diet. Only until about 4yo does he have them on and off depending on my mood. Bcos my boy tends to be on the heaty side so I have to really control his diet else sickness will come looking for him. You will know ur kid body, so it's up to you to judge to give or not.

Read more

I only let my children taste sweets and chocolates after they turn 2 years old as they have already developed teeth brushing habit. I think it is okay to let children to indulge in sweet stuff occasionally. So far, my children have no tooth decay due to the sweet intakes. However, you have to limit the intakes of the sweets as there will be a risk of developing obesity in children.

Read more
VIP Member

We try to avoid but if we eat in front of her, she want too. Kids are clever, she know as long we eat it, mean yummy to them. As long everything is moderate ( i limited 1 piece or small pack only) and remember to let them brush teeth.

Can't really say there is a right age. At least kids already eat the normal number of meals a day (breakfast, lunch, dinner). You can give sweets as treats but not too much and at the right time, too.

I give chocolate after 3 year old, not introduct sweet. you can try give healthier fruits another choices. my boy don't like to eat sweet at all. but he love chocolates.

after 1 is best, but do avoid it as much as you can to educate them about healthy snacking and to make sure they don't get overactive from the sugar high.

I allow my daughter to taste sweets and chocolates after 18 months , must rem to brush their teeth after that to prevent tooth decay :)

VIP Member

I started from 9months + just a small for taste .. coz let their taste buds njoy the sweetness .. a small thing is not a matter I guess