My parents pamper my daughter a lot and keep giving her chocolates and sweets, which is not good for her teeth. How do I wean her off the habit?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

It's hard to stop the caregiver for not giving this and that and tell your kid, you can't have them, may cause them to dislike you instead. What i do is, i buy a lot of varieties of snacks, and pass to them, asking them to reward them if they behave well instead of giving them non-stop. Buy a bag of snacks that you will give your LO. Best is buy those that come in small packs, so they can give 1 small pack at a time instead of big pack. Always emphasized to them why it's not good to have too much. Show them kids having tooth decay and below 7 year old, can't pluck, can't do much things, causing some kids to talk slower, etc, because they don't show people their decay teeth. This is some of the items i give my kids. I give M&M funsize on and off too. Incase you asking where to get all this snacks, I got most of the snacks from iherb.com . First timer use this code DQC001 get extra discount too.

Read more
Post reply image

I would suggest preparing "snack packs" (that your daughter enjoys and you "approve") like what Jolin mentioned. At the end of the day, your parents just wants to offer your daughter treats. Just buy the snacks that your daughter currently likes and give it to them to offer to your daughter. This way, they get to give her what she likes and you need not worry about the chocolate and sweets. That being said, an indulgence once in a while is alright I guess. Because, sometimes, your parents may want to give something that they have chosen and bought for your girl. Let them know that you prefer them to give other snacks instead and keep chocolate and sweets to a minimal. I'm quite sure they will understand. :)

Read more

difficult to do so with so much influence around u. sugar is like a drug. u need to have team effort to wean her off. or else each time she takes candy etc.from ur parents and u try to keep her away, then they become her heroes and u r the dreaded villain. so if u want her off candy, then all in ur family needs to support u in this. regards to teeth, keep regular dentist appointment and oral habits...

Read more

I suggest that you firmly ask your parents to stop giving her sweets and let them clearly see the reason why. Reiterate to them that you want to discipline your daughter on her food preference because the consequence of this is long term. They will understand. Then start introducing fruits and vegetables and cereals. And throw all chocolates inside the house. :)

Read more

Hey my parents also do that but I can't really stop them because I am a working mother so sometimes I really can't see but I will try to educate them and show them article etc see babies have tooth decay so young because eat too much sweets or tell them what my friends do

Suggest to your parents to pass the candy to you instead so that you can ration the amount your daughter gets. That way, they can still pamper their granddaughter and you can keep an eye on her candy intake.

Ask parents to change candies and chocolates to raisins and gelatine..i'm sure your kid will love it..better start now before the teeth will be damaged..

you need to talk to your parents that they must limit those sweets to your kid. Keep remind them.