What's the right age to let your kids start dating?

37 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I think the question should be "how can I prepare my kids for dating?", because it doesn't really matter whether parents allow it - kids can just have their own relationships and hide it from parents, and you'd end up having a situation where they don't want to tell you anything because you're likely to disapprove of it. My parents have never really stopped me from dating, but the people I dated were definitely those who my parents wouldn't approve (they were a few years older than me, but gave me the comfort I couldn't find at home because we had a lot of family issues over the past 8-9 years) - so I went on secret dates instead. It took months before my parents found out, but they didn't say much either when they did. What did happen, however, was that I was already brainwashed/"taught wrongly" by my then-boyfriend - it sounds naive and stupid, but I got into a "if you love me, you'd have sex with me" spiral that took 8 years for me to step out of. What I'm trying to say is, don't restrict your kids from doing this or doing that - but the best thing you can do as a parent is to build the relationship between you and your child so that there's no secrets that need to be kept (yes, that includes "adult" things like health, finance and insurance). This would help them be more comfortable in sharing about everything with you, and when they do, don't freak out/overreact because they would end up feeling a mistrust! When you start noticing signs of dating, or when your child comes to tell you about it - talk to them like you would talk to a friend and NOT from an disapproving adult to a growing teen. Ask them about the boy/girl they like, what they like about him/her, how they feel about him/her, when and where they met etc - in a "I care about you, friend" manner and not a "interrogative parent" manner :) Give them the right tips and guidance, but never come across as "you cannot do this. I won't allow it." - especially using things like studies as an excuse!

Read more

For me and my husband at age 18 my daughter is allowed to have a boyfriend, we even warned her that if she is going to enter into a relationship she will stop schooling, but its not effective, because we found out that she enter into a relationship many times secretely from age 14 up to the present when she is 15, what we did is talk to the boys and explained and informed them that we did not allow our daughter to have a boyfriend and go on dating, and we warned them if they took our daughter, we will sue them. Luckily, they end up breaking up our daughter, I know it looks like a harse way but it is also a way to test if their intention is real.So far our daughter had a bf through chatting in messenger, and not in person. If we are to choose after finishing college is the ideal time to have a bf but, it is not under our control because they have their own decision to make, what we just can do is give her guidance and support.

Read more

haha.. My parents did not allow us to stat dating while still in our teenage years. But with puberty and all, we have our "secret love affairs" (haha) while we are in secondary school. Looking back, I would probably call those puppy love (you know, going "steady", holding hands and chatting on the phone). My parents changed their stand and started saying that dating is allowed once I started uni. I guess they are worried that I will be left on the shelves (haha!). I think given the parenting approach nowadays, it is best to teach your children how to respect the other party he/she fancies. Let you know that he/she is going on a date, or bring the other party home so that you at least know who he/she is going out with. This will also encourage your child to approach you when he/she faces any relationship problems. So I would say, teenage years is likely when you will need to consider allowing a child to start dating.

Read more

This is an interesting question! There is no right or wrong time I think. I've seen kids go out on supervised dates at the age of 13 and I know friends who were only allowed to go dating when they were in uni. I was interested in BGR stuff when I entered secondary school but only started dating when I was in junior college. If it were my child, ideally, I'd prefer for him or her to be in their late teens (17 and above) before they have dates. But then again, we can't control everything can we?

Read more

Many people try to deal with lice at home, but end up treating their own hair when they have nits on paper towels. Not knowing what these tiny bugs look like is the main cause of this type of problem. When someone expects to see a certain appearance and then does not, it causes uneasiness. This is why knowing what nits on paper towels are like will help you solve the problem much faster. https://community.theasianparent.com/q/what-if-saw-your-best-friend-husband-dating-another-girl/5604

Read more
Super Mum

I think rather than setting the right age, parents should be more open-minded and prepare the kids to start dating plus accept the fact that your kid wants to start dating even though you think they are too young. When I was in secondary school, my classmate's parents told her that she can only start dating at 21. In the end she already had 7 boyfriends when she was 16 and her parents did not even know. My parents never restricted me and I only started dating when I was mature enough

Read more

how can there be an age when YOU let your kids start dating? i mean, they will do it when they want to, right? some kids start dating as early as 12, while some may not date till about quite later, when they are past 16. it all depends on your kid's preference and other priorities. i suggest you talk to your kids and keep up the communication, so that you are aware of what is going on. and yes, if you are too strict about it, your kids may be dating but hide it from you.

Read more

Do you think if I tell you 18 is the right age or 15, then all kids would follow it? And as parents I think we can only guide our children and not dictate terms. They are not going to be open about they are dating or not. So, it is better that we give enough time and the same time space to our kids so neither they are suffocated by our opinions in their life, nor they are deprived of the right advice and guidance. Cheers!

Read more
VIP Member

in this century , even if you say 18 or 21 is the right age , no one will follow. But of course ,i hope my child can start to date after he finish his studies . Personally when i enter secondary school i got into relationship and now thinking back its a waste of my time 😅 But of course i will encourage my child to start when the time is right but definitely after completing his basic secondary studies.

Read more

Never! ;P Hopefully not before 13 or 14, but I would always rather they were open and honest about it than going behind my back (this way I can keep in as much control as possible and at least provide a safe space for discussion) - but I am also fine at setting ground rules too (e.g. you are not allowed together in a bedroom unaccompanied).

Read more