What hot beverage can we drink other than red date tea during confinement period?

93 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Depends on which culture's confinement you are looking at. I heard that in Chinese confinement practices, water is a no-no as it will cause water retention so hot drinks like ginger-date tea and longan-date tea are commonly served. Some of my friends took DOM wine but some don't because of nursing concerns. If I'm not wrong, they took Yomeishu instead. For Malay confinement, I was told that water is okay, just make sure that the water is warm. There's alot of jamu (traditional herbal) drinks in the confinement diet. Here's an interesting comparative table of Indian, Chinese and Malay confinement pratices at a glance. All in all, the three cultural practices' aim is to purge out the “wind” in the body after delivery, promote “blood circulation”, strengthen the joints and promote milk supply and to basically avoid “cooling” foods. http://www.healthxchange.com.sg/healthyliving/womenhealth/Pages/confinement-food-in-chinese-malay-and-indian-cultures.aspx

Read more
8y ago

Why can't drink water??

Hello mummy, red date tea and milo (but note that both are super heaty). I also drank Dumex Mamil Mama. Warm water is actually fine (contrary to beliefs abt bloating lah this lah that lah..) in fact water helps to prevent constipation and hydrates a breastfeeding mummy. My confinement lady said I should not drink plain water but I secretly drank (with the help of my hubby who pretended it was for himself..then passed to me in the room) because I was perpetually thirsty! (Note: during my pregnancy, my fav plain water sent me puking like crazy...so I craved for water immed after I delivered)

Read more
8y ago

same!! but my first tri, I crave for water, soon second tri, I cannot stand plain water anymore.

Boil Red Dates, Black Dates, Longan, Gou Qizi and Dang Shen in large quantity of water for daily consumption. Warm Essence of Chicken or Fish for daily morning consumption and may add DOM or Yomeishu in daily confinement meal, and one small glass of diluted DOM / Yomeishu in warm water prior to a good night sleep.

Read more

I'm currently doing my confinement too. I'm drinking red dates tea, milk and cereal. And I do drink 10ml of Dom everyday. I'll have an interval of 2 hours before I breastfeed my baby. Everything is still alroghtZ

I drink one cup of the red date tea only. and mostly plain water. and cold plain water. or coke...... 😅 Milo with oats also. (: I drink a lot of water as I'm breast feeding, need water to produce milk.

VIP Member

Cereal drink? Brown rice tea? Ginger tea? There is many types of drinks that can be drank during confinement just check out what type of tea is suitable to drink during confinement.

VIP Member

it is a myth that we cant drink water. we need plenties of it with red dates tea to be hydrated when breastfeeding. ginger tea, milo and horlicks are fine

VIP Member

Tea that helps with milk productions, such as earth mama -milkmaid tea or traditional medicinals -organic mothers milk

TapFluencer

Drink lots of water to flush your system and cleanse it. Hot Milo, barley and nutritious soup helped a lot

VIP Member

U can drink anything actually. Milo, chocolate, cereal drink, milk etc. As Long as not cold.