At what age kids start having food themselves? My son is 2.6 yrs old and he is not eating himself every time!???

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, There is no specific time as kids like to eat things on their own from the time they can hold things, can stand on their own. Kids like to do to most of the things on their own. You must have noticed when we take him to take bath, they like to throw water on their own. I think, we restrict them from doing things fearing the mess that will be created afterwards. I think, your kid is capable of eating food on his own, just that you will have to let him be free. Make him sit on the food chair, so that he cannot move till the food is finished, and plate his food. Do not worry about how he eats and how much he drops. Just let him have his food on his own. And you will see that him eating on his own.

Read more

to put you at ease, it's a phase...both my kids started eating themselves by the age of 10 months, then one got off it and wanted me to feed her all the time before she turned 2. the younger one has suddenly reached a phase where she wants to eat herself half the time and wants me to feed her the rest of the time. she is 3. involve your child in family meal times, let everyone sit at the table and eat. get cute cutlery and designate a place for your child, which will be reserved and no one else can sit. try these small tricks and your child may get interested :)

Read more

My son ate by himself since he was 1. But now occasionally he asks me to feed him. Kids are like that. They can eat by themselves very well. All we have to do is give the chance. Be consistent. Encourage ur child to help himself. If you say you won't feed him when he is all able to do it himself, never give up. Tell him you ll feed him when he is not able to feed himself. Tell the same mantra. " help yourself when you can do it by yourself" mommy will help when you can't. Same applies for all his regular chores. Bathing, dressing, clearing toys from the floor..

Read more

Hi, My youngest one is 6 year old and she started eating by 3. I mean independently. Though, it is another thing that now also sometimes, she wants me to feed her with my hands. :) I think, your kid can start eating on his own now. Treat him like an adult and plate his food along with everyone, and let him have his food on his own without interference as "eat this way, or that way", and rest assured that he will not only start enjoying eating on his own but with time make less of a mess.

Read more

I think you are not letting him do that. My daughter started eating when she say a year old and I would place her on her high chair and place her meal in a child-friendly bowl. She mostly finger-fed herself in the beginning and gradually started using spoons. Make sure your child eats with the family and make him sit with everyone on the dining table. Do not help him and you'll slowly notice that he would start eating himself. Just be a little patient

Read more

Different children do so at different times times. For instance, my elder one started eating on her own when she was about 18 months or so and my younger one did before that. Let your child try to eat and see what happens. Don't take over in between even if you feel you'd do a better job of it. And just in case it doesn't happen, feed your baby..After all, someday I'll surely miss doing so :)

Read more

My son started at 18months. It was a mess though. However with practice he got better and today he can feed himself whilst I focus feeding my 9month little bub. Makes meal times easier for everyone.

My daughter start food eating in 2.0 years.