Son doesn’t know how to feed himself

My son is 8 months old and it has been traditional weaning so far. I haven’t tried baby led weaning, so he doesn’t know how to pick up food and feed himself. Should I be worried?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

You can try giving him big pieces of fruit or baby cracker or teether. It's easier to hold biggee stuff with his whole hand. It might take a while and he might be just playing and throwing the food around, that's OK let him freely explore, play and improve his motor skills. When he's good at it already you can slowly try smaller food like blueberries to practice pincer grasp (picking things up with only thumb and index finger).

Read more
VIP Member

What do u mean feed himself? Like hold the spoon n feed? ... or using hands? U cn buy those star shaped biscuit frm gerber n let him pick it up to feed himself.. all this takes time n practice no rush!

TapFluencer

No worry mama I traditional weaning my baby too but I do give her snack ask her eat herself like puff or rice cereal. Eventually when they are older they just know how to do it.

VIP Member

Doing TW too. But biscuits and puffs I will lay on table and let her take herself. Soemtimes, will also let her child the spoon to get her self feed.

Tats fine , i started with traditional feeding too . Try expose him some cut fruits . He eventually will learn .

VIP Member

You can try baby food pouches and its easy for him to hold and eat ...https://www.raffertysgarden.sg/

Super Mum

It's okay, mummy! Try out those small biscuits or raisins with your LO. Practice makes perfect!

Super Mum

Most 8 month olds can’t do it perfectly. No rush, really:)

VIP Member

Take time. 8 months still early. No need worry.