7 Replies

Eyes discharges usually isn't cause for alarm, but if you notice a difference in consistency, color and quantity of eye gunk, it could indicate an eye infection or disease. Common eye conditions associated with abnormal eye discharge include: Conjunctivitis. Eye discharge is a common symptom of conjunctivitis (pink eye), an inflammation of the conjunctiva — the thin membrane that lines the "white" of the eye (sclera) and the inner surface of the eyelids. In addition to itchy, gritty, irritated and red eyes, conjunctivitis typically is accompanied by white, yellow or green eye mucus which can form a crust along the lash line while you sleep. In some cases, eyelid crusting can be so severe that it temporarily seals your eye shut. I personally think you can clear up her eye in the morning using cooled boiled salt water and cotton wool, but use separate pieces for each eye and use a dry piece to dry her eye don't use a towel as that can just spread it around xx. This is already good enough. If it still persists after a week or 2, please seek doctor's advice.

If your baby’s eye discharge is sticky and gooey, it could be caused by stye, bacterial conjunctivitis and other eye infections, corneal ulcer, or dacryocystitis. Like what the other mummies have suggested, it is best to bring her to the doctor for a proper assessment. Your doctor may prescribe antibiotic eye drops for her. To remove the pus/discharge from your daughter’s eye, wet cotton balls with water and gently wipe away the dried and liquid pus/discharge that are on the eyelid. Be sure to wash your hands well after that as the pus may spread the infection to others (or her other eye). For more information on conjunctivitis: http://www.babycenter.in/a1015215/conjunctivitis

My son had this yellowish discharge at one side of his eye he was about 1 month old. I brought him to PD and pd said it was due to tear duct blockage and not eye infection. So PD prescribe him an eye drop to drip to clear the discharge and within few days it went away. PD also advised to wipe bb's eye using cool boiled water instead of other solution e.g. tea leaf in order to avoid irritation. I suggest you to bring baby to PD immediately for a check to see if it is an eye infection or just immature tear duct.

It really sounds like a blocked tear duct. Sometimes babies get these ducts blocked and one simple thing you can try is to gently massage the area between the top of the nose and the corner of the eye. Make sure you don't push too hard. Gently massage in circular motions. You can also do this massage with a warm wash cloth. Try this method several times a day and it should clear right up within a few days. If it doesn't go away after a week, best to go seek medical advice/

If there is redness and swelling around the eyes, this could indicate an eye infection and should be brought to the doctor straightaway. The doctor may prescribe antibiotic or antiviral eye drops and ointments. It will be better not to use unscientific items for the eyes. Some may cause more irritation and make it worse. But using tea leaves and breastmilk is to help in pink eye (conjunctivitis) not eye infection.

VIP Member

It sounds like an eye infection. Please bring her to a PD instead of using unorthodox methods as it may worsen the infection. Try not to aggravate it and seek medical help immediately. Breast milk is useful for cracked nipples and rashes but I doubt it can treat eye infections. Same for tea leaves. It's best to get treated by a professional rather than use home based methods especially for your baby's face.

Thanks mummies , this week has clear up.. Jux a little .. Jux went for her jaundice check up doc say it normal blocked tear duct .. N it wil go away ..

Related Questions

Trending Questions

Related Articles