Very upset! Bought a Tula for my 8-month old and showed my mother-in-law. However, she told me such ergonomic carriers are not good for babies' development, and will cause their bones at the hip area to grow outwards and affect their walking next time. She forbids me to put her on the carrier and says a good carrier should make sure that the legs are as closed as possible. Told her the "M" shape was from the babywearing consultants and she said that the consultants are out to earn people's money and will not take any responsibility if the baby does not develop well. How?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I am the more forceful kind so when I say so it is so...LOL. But yes, everybody who doesn't know abt the truth of babywearing will think that way. U have to educate them with articles and pictures. Ur mil is really stuck in the mud. It's a carrier for goodness sake, not some forceful hip expander w the adult body being a forceful expander. Moreover, baby don't spend much time in there - usually at most 1-2 hrs caz u will be tired, baby need to change diaper or something. How is something that is only for a short time a couple of times a day or maybe just once a day going to drastically affect the body as compared to the rest of the 20+hrs when not in carrier? Really nonsense I must say. I would just use the Tula. My baby. My parenting style.

Read more

It is normal to be approached by people who comments like this even from our own family members. Take it as a pinch of salt. They are concerned thus they intervened. However, spoken to a Physiotherapist before, M shape seating is ergonomic for infants and up. The link from Geraldine is valid too. Researched upon. Pat Pat... Edited on 27.12.17: I am a certified Babywearing Educator now and is even more sure how this can help our children achieve ideal hip development. We are not here to cheat people money but here to educate them with the right knowledge and equip parents with skills they needed. If ever anyone need help, can approach www.facebook.com/babycarriersrentalsg ◡̈ we have monthly workshop to teach in regards to this too

Read more

Lol, i would use it. Afterall its my son, at the end of the day my baby my rules. And which parent in the right frame of mind will do anything to hurt baby. We all want and will do the best. So i say, stick with your decision and principles whatever it is.

Hi mommy, show this to your MIL. It's from a team of established Orthopedic surgeons: http://hipdysplasia.org/developmental-dysplasia-of-the-hip/prevention/baby-carriers-seats-and-other-equipment/

Don't need to show ur MIL next time when u get anything... well unless she's taking care of ur baby... :p

Hello, I'm a certified babywearing consultant myself and no, we are not out to earn people's money...