Is it unhealthy to have your toddler watch TV before bedtime? How do you wean him off the TV/phone videos. My son is almost 2 yrs old and has recently been hooked to youtube educational videos. Although the content is perfectly fine, I just do not want him to grow up hooked on gadgets/tv shows. TIA!

4 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

I don't know if I could say it's unhealthy, but there has been research that suggests minimizing screen time for 2-year-olds and younger to nearly no screen time at all. I think this generation is bound to be wired to gadgets regardless, but you might want to consider is worrying about is his attention span and sleep cycle. Screens actually emit a certain spectrum of light that is present, naturally, during the day. Exposure to this particular spectrum can trick the eye and body into being more alert and awake...which doesn't mix well with bedtime. Here's some more info on that, and why you might want to consider watching videos sooner than bedtime: http://ikeepsafe.org/be-a-pro/balance/no-screen-time-before-bed/

Magbasa pa
8y ago

Very helpful indeed! Thanks!

My son is hooked to it too. What i did was i minimized it gradually. So 10 mins before i want him to be off the tab, i will tell him in 10minutes time we will have to say bye bye. He will still throw a fit, then ill distract him and turn it into a game. Asking him who he prefers to give it too. Either myself or dad. Im still working on it, takes time. I wont give up, so try it out see if it works.

Magbasa pa
8y ago

Will keep trying! Thanks!

Our 3 yr old and 11 mos boy used to watched in tablet. Pero napansin namin super late na natutulog. And sobrang nagiba yung attitude nia so we decided to keep the tablet na lang. So far, sobrang ok na ulit sleeping routine nia. Hndi na din topakin.

No. Watching tv before bedtime might stimulate him to be more active. Try to read books to your toddler in order to wean him off the tv and gadgets.