Travelling with my 4.5 month old for the first time! We're flying to Europe on a 13 hour flight. What are do's and donts of flying with a 4 month old? Any tips much appreciated!

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Since it is a long hour flight, I suggest you to book a night flight so your baby's sleep schedule at night won't be disturbed and both you and partner can rest well during flight. For 4 months old baby it is pretty manageable as they have not started in solids weaning. Thus, there is not much things to prepare (at least for solids/baby puree). Things to prepare for the flight - nursing cover if you are latching, portable steriliser for bottles if you are giving formula milk, 5-10 disposable diapers, baby blanket as it will be cold in plane, socks and jacket for baby, some toys e.g. cloth books and teether to occupy baby. You can latch baby/let baby suckle on milk bottle/pacifier during plane take off and landing to ease the baby's ears pressure.

Read more

Do's 1. Bring baby's favorite toys on board to keep them occupy 2. Bring at least 10 diapers on board. It is safer to bring more. You will not want their poop or pee to leak out during the flight 3. Bring a baby carrier on board in case baby fuss and you need to baby wear him or her to calm down the baby. 4. Bring extra clothes for changing in case he/she spits on the clothes. 5. Remember to bring baby sweater and blanket as it can be very cold when the plane is in the air. Don'ts 1. Don't need to bring pump if you can just let your baby latch on. Tips: Nurse baby before the flight takes off. This can help baby to relieve the pressure in their ears.

Read more

I've seen mommies wanting to breastfeed baby during takeoff because it helps with the pain in baby's ears but with the infant seatbelt/harness and safety regulations, it might be difficult. My friend would nurse baby before takeoff so baby would sleep throughout the harrowing experience.

VIP Member

Consider buying the airbaby sky mattress. it's about $60. It is a comfortable alternative to having your baby sleep on your lap and means you can lift your baby out of the plane's bassinet without waking them. http://www.taxibaby.sg/store/p17/SkyBaby_airplane_travel_mattress.html

Post reply image

thanks

hello