To lah or not to lah?

Do you think kids should use singlish?

19 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

While it’s only me and the family she’s interacting with, I will be strict in teaching my girl proper English with correct pronunciation. Once she starts going to Primary School, it is inevitable for her to learn Singlish; she’s Singaporean after all. Just need to make sure that she is able to maintain standard English even when she uses Singlish.

Read more
VIP Member

As long as children continue to read story books, speak well in school etc and able to string proper sentences, one or two lahs should be fine(:

I think it’s inevitable. U can teach them proper english at home but when they go to school or visit relatives and hear they’ll pick it up

Kids are going to pick up whatever slang/localised language they are exposed to in their society. Best not to worry too much about it :)

VIP Member

Of course it's better not to "lah". But if we ourselves as parents have a habit of doing/saying then how to stop them?

I think they will pick it up naturally once they start school and having friends. Its totally fine in my opinion.

It's a normal thing when you're a Singaporean. Of course we can always teach them when not to use Singlish

Teach proper English at home. They will learn Singlish outside and be able to codeswitch when necessary.

TapFluencer

We are Singaporean it's our singlish. You can stop them now but not in the future. So I think it's fine.

VIP Member

I feel as a SINGAPOREAN SINGLISH will start to run in blood ... So need not worri much