Are there any lies that your parents told you as a kid that you believed for longer than you'd like to admit? :D...

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My mom once told me that if I don't wash and clean myself properly after using the toilet (for number one or two), insects will bite me at night. Another variation of that weird childhood myth is that the devil will be attracted to me because I was not properly hygienic. I believed that till I was about 10? Hahaha instilled really good and hygienic toilet habits till today though.

Read more

Not parents, but I told my sister that she had been picked up from the streets. This is one of the most common lie elder siblings tell younger ones. My sister tells me that she didn't reject the idea outrightly. In fact, as she grew up and started resembling our mother and me, is when she learnt it was a lie after all :))

Read more

I remember 2 things.... One that if I sat on pillows I would get boils on my buttocks. ...just so that we would not spiol her pillows. Secondly, if we were not in bed by 8 o'clock Wee Willy Winky would really come and take us away!!! This one I still use with my 6 year old :)

my mum used to say no matter where I am she has a third eye with which I can see all the naughtiness that I do...I believed it for a long time and now my kids do too ;)

I believed for a long, long time that if we "mother's promise" is false then the mother dies!!

if I eat chocolates and ice creams the ants would come and find me at night to bite me