Stay at home parents, given the opportunity to work again in the corporate world or abroad with a really competitive salary, would you leave your kids for it?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I had several offers both local and abroad but I declined all of them. The offers were really inviting but my mind set is really focused on being a hands on mom. That is the only reason why I quit my corporate job for 12 years. I had good and challenging career back then, but I chose to be with my kids, and not hire any nanny to look after them. Again, it still depends on your values and priorities in the family. You always have to weigh the pros and cons if ever you decide to accept a job offer away from your kids.

Read more

No. My previous employer offered me to come back and work again with them. The salary was more than 2x my last salary with them, and the benefits were great. But I declined and chose to take care of my child. Aside from the fact that it is very hard to find a trustworthy helper, I would want to be present during my child's formative years.

Read more

Nope. I think that the stress level is high and won't match the salary that you'll get from corporate work. Travel time will also lessen the time that you can spend with your family. Often times, when you work in a corporate setting, you leave the house while your kids are still sleeping and you come home when they're already resting.

Read more

Being a father and responsible of my family's future, I think, I will grab the opportunity. But of course, if I can bring my family with me will be fantastic. But if not, Ill try to visit them monthly if I'll be assigned in Southeast Asia. It's really a big sacrifice to make but I have to secure my family's future.

Read more

It depends on the age of the kids. Definitely saying no to work abroad if i can't bring my family with me. If the corporate job is giving the same salary as the home based job, i'd rather stick with a home based job.