I am a Work-at-Home mom with 2 toddlers (3yo and 1yo). It has never been our option to get a nanny because we want to be hands-on parents. Yes, my husband and I decided to quit our corporate jobs and now we're both working from home. However, our situation with 2 kids + home based work has been very challenging for us lately. Any tips on how to handle the kids and work with lesser stress and pressure?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

We're on the same shoes! We only have 1 toddler but every day, it feels like we have 5 children to chase and jobs to handle well. Our little one doesn't really enjoy watching TV and gadgets like tablet/mobile phone can't entertain him either. He likes the old school games, which is good. He runs around, play with his toys, wrestle with his dad and cousins, biking and the likes. What me and my husband do is that we set a schedule. Whoever has the more free time, no strict deadline or flexible working hour has to be more focused on him. I'm usually in charge in the morning, once he wakes up until about 9am and then 5pm onward, until he falls asleep. My husband gets to enjoy more playtime with him and he tries to exhaust his energy so he can sleep well from 10am and sometimes in the afternoon. Hubby works on his job when our son is sleeping during the day and from 5pm onward. From time to time, we get some help from my mom and sisters, which usually happen when we're running on a deadline. I think setting the schedule work well for work at home parents without helpers. Also, check on what interests your kids the most and maybe redecorate the play area with that theme so they'll enjoy playing for a longer time. If his dad's on 'duty' and he wants to play with me, I give him a quick 10-minute playtime and then I explain that mommy has to go back to work. Hope these help.

Read more

I think to look after two children and that too within the age group of 1 and 3, and managing your work at the same time is quite a task. Since, they are too young to understand and stick by the fact that they are not supposed to be naughty and fussy while their parents work is too much to expect from them. I feel that either you have to discipline them exactly the way you want in regard to when to be the nicest kids in the world when you guys are working (which is being harsh on kids) or try setting a schedule for them, as they have to sleep on a certain time, and that should be basically the time when you would work. If both of you are working from home, then you both can babysit for each other during the tie one is working. This way, none of will get disturbed especially when you are working. Say, if your husband works in the mornings, you be the one looking after them, and if you work in the evenings, then let your husband take charge of the kids.

Read more

wow...hats off to you both to take this step and give so much time and attention to your kids :) I think since you both are working from home, the key here would be to plan your days in such a way that at least one of you has more time on hand to spend with the kids at any given time. Depending on the requirement of your individual jobs, one partner can tend to the kids while the other works, and vice versa, through the work day. Also, plan home chore responsibilities in such a way that you both share the same and it does not burden any one of you. Once your plan gets in motion, you'll also be able to form a routine for the kids, and by the end of the day your time will be better managed. all the best.

Read more

in my case, i work from home while my partner has a regular 9 to 5 job that he does from the office. i am also the primary caregiver of two kids, one a kindergarten student and the other a primary school student, and i also have to take care of all the basic chores such as cooking, looking after their studies and so on. what works for me is to create a schedule. in your case, both of you can divide your work time in such a way that someone or the other is always there for the kids. this will help you both concentrate on work at your given time, and also help teh kids feel loved and cared for.

Read more

Firstly, I must tell you that you guys are really brave enough to decide that you will manage the both kids on your own when you have also to work simultaneously. Anyway, I think you guys should set up a schedule for the kids and work during the hours when they are sleeping. Or engage them in some activity where they both help each other doing things. http://www.thesimpledollar.com/17-strategies-to-survive-working-from-home-with-children/

Read more

Try telling ur children to keep discipline when u both work n at the end compliment them for being well mannered n for being silent instead before starting ur work give them some stuff to do n make sure u appreciate them at the end it would help u surely..