Will you lend your in laws your own money?

So here’s the situation. For the first time, my in laws has been asking money from us. And it’s $20K cash money to buy a house. They have been planning to purchase a smaller house and stay near us. I have been married for two years with two beautiful daughters. So recently, they just sold their 4rm flat and downgrade to smaller house. They found one but after the agent calculate their own CPF, additional with the our housing grant etc etc, they are still short of $20K. Usually they will ask my husband for money every end of the month but I simply brush it off cause it’s not much anyway. But this time round, they are asking $20K from us. My husband and I do have the amount in our combine account (our emergency account) but I, as a wife is still contemplating to borrow them. It’s not $1K-$2K we are talking about but $20K. And even if I were to lend them 1/4 of that $5K-$7K, I’m scared they will take their own sweet time to pay us back. Cause they still need to find another half and pay it accordingly. So, if you were me. Will you willing to give/lend that huge amount to your in laws or ask them to source for something else, eg: personal bank loan? #advicepls FYI, we have never ever ask them for money throughout the years. Even for our wedding reception, the sum of money that we paid fully came from our blood and sweat. They just shake leg and do nothing. Same goes when we have our own house and when I give birth. So idk if I should lend them ours.

16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
TapFluencer

actually it depend on individual and I think honestly lend is a nicer word to say. I think it's right to just give them but if they return it will be bonus. regardless whether you take money from them or not. your hub is their son they brought him up. out of filial I will just pass it to them to tide over. 20k yes it's not a small amount it's not very big amount too.

Read more