My mil dont know how to tc of my 4weeks old baby. And insist she wanted to take care..

She shower my baby like rojak.. Pull one of his hand up and make him stand. When he is just 4 weeks old.. My baby cry very loud.. My husband dont allow me to hire nanny.. Maid.. Or helper.. And insist that his mum can take care.. And even i show him the video of how his mum shower my baby. He said.. Wash a few time will be fine.

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, I was in similar situation as you and I do understand it can be very stressful for the mum. Alot of ppl would say be appreciative to your mil, and that it is better than having no help. Yes, I do agree we need to be appreciative that our mil offers their help. However that is if their help is useful. But if their help is making things worse, making me feel even more worried for my LO, and making me even busier, then it became no help at all. All it does is just increase my stress level. Worse is bcoz it is our mil, so we are not suppose to correct them for things we do think is safe or right. So for mum whom keep saying be appreciative, pls understand that it is not that we are not appreciative, but rather, we do appreciate their help but their help is making us deel uncomfortable and at times I would feel more helpful if they do not offer their help. e.g., How would you feel if your mil keep feeding your lo below 6mths plain water, and when you seek help from others on how shld you stop or correct your mil and what you should do, but others just tell you to be appreciative of your mil? anyway, how i dealt with it was I would try to make my husband understand how or why some of my mil actions may be harmful to my lo. if he agrees, i would ask him to find an opportunity to tell my mil as my husband is in a better position to do that. if he does not agree and refused to tok to my mil, then i will just standby my mil and "help" her with my lo. so for example, i find that she is very rough while bathing my lo, anyhow grab (grabbing only one hand on the elbow instead of holding well under armpit) n sometimes my lo will almost slip into the water..when she help to bathe i wld join her, n help to hold my lo or peepare to catch my lo if she is abt to slip into the water. well, either she gets it, or she wld complain that im meddling etc..but for the sake of my lo, i just have to keep it and be strong. Sometimes, weekends I would just bring my lo back to my mum hse too. Well, jiayou and all the best!!

Read more
3y ago

I totally agree with you! And respect for what you did! Help is only useful when it’s helpful. If not, it’s just additional stress