exercise

Is it safe to do exercise during early stage of pregnancy

18 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It depends on how active you were pre preg, how your pregnancy is and if your symptoms are manageable :) I am quite active and I continued to exercise throughout the first tri from 4 weeks onwards. I did hiit/aerobics/circuit, a bit of yoga, and badminton in first tri. I've added swimming and barre later. Some other exercises didn’t work for me so i skipped those (e.g i found my motion sickness terrible on a treadmill). Now at 38 weeks I am still exercising but I've slowed down a lot. I do think it has helped me to avoid a lot of aches and pains of pregnancy, and excessive weight gain. I do watch out for symptoms of over exercising and I skip a day if I don't feel good. I've also dropped my pace significantly since I tire more easily as compared to pre preg. I take breaks during sessions if i needed to and always have a water bottle with me. My gynae said it's alright to exercise and to just avoid high impact activities, like jumping. It's also not a good time to try a new sport if you're not used to it, since getting an injury from it is more likely. If you're unsure, you could also ask your gynae at your earliest\ next visit :) This article has pretty good summary: https://www.acog.org/patient-resources/faqs/pregnancy/exercise-during-pregnancy

Read more