recently my girl starts to scream and make a lot of noise, so that I will carry her. lately when she zzz she will suddenly scream. she will raised both her legs up. she will turn her head left to right and right to left a few times before going back to zzz again. what's the reason for all these Behaviour. LO turning 5months in a few days. turning of her head could be fighting sleep. That's all I can assume. do let me have ur views besides sleep fighting. thanks.

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Sounds like your baby may be having night terrors. These are sleep disruptions that are likely reaction of fear when the baby is transiting from one sleep phase to another. The baby’s sleep suddenly gets disrupted and he/she may suddenly start crying or screaming in distress. The baby is not aware that he/she is crying, and is not likely to remember this the next morning. Fortunately, night terror is not found to have any harmful effects on babies and will outgrow them. To help, simply make sure that your baby is safe, comfort him/she (if needed) and your baby will eventually quiet down. I found this article useful in understanding night terror, you can have a read: http://kidshealth.org/en/parents/terrors.html

Read more

hi huishan, there are many reasons your baby could be doing this. it could be she is having nightmares, and yes, it is possible for small babies to have bad dreams too, or dreams that make them uncomfortable. my baby also used to do like this and i would immediately start to lightly rub her back or legs and hold her finger. i used to talk to her soothingly, telling her i love her and it is time to sleep. on the other hand, she may be starting her teething phase. to make sure she does not have any pain or discomfort in the gums, you can massage her gums lightly by wrapping a clean cloth on your little finger.

Read more
VIP Member

Sometimes it'll may be due to teething too, as they having discomfort from it. I apply teething gel to sooth his gum and after that he will go to sleep, provided it's really related to teething, if not the teething gel is useless too, hence he need to lay on me to sleep for comfort. Have to trial and error to find out what happen.

Read more

my girl who is 5 mth old have the same problem also.. I massage her finger..keep telling her calm down when sleeping mummy is besides u... and I seem work.. for the pass weeks she seem to sleep better..

It sounds like sleep regression and probably nightmare. It's usually a phase and IT will eventually get over

my baby also does it and she is now 1 year old and I was told it's normal just have to endure

8y ago

I think it's call sleep regression and the baby don't know she is doing that last night at 4am my baby was crying super loudly swinging around etc while trying to calm her down she wake up then look at me with blur blur eyes and smile at me she don't know 1 min ago what she was doing in her sleep

Sounds like sleep regression. Normal, it will eventually go away.