Rant -MIL

Recently my 3weeks baby got admitted due to vomiting of milk & constipation for 5days. MIL blame me for eating rubbish, saying that my confinement meals have 'fried' items, its unhealthy. I shouldn't breast feed baby. It's because of what I eat that causes baby to be constipated. I was so upset. I run away from home back to my mother's place. During my first week of confinement, before my milk supply came in, she say that I got no supply unlike her younger days, she got so much milk. She cook confinement meals for me (first week) but I don't like her cooking , she not happy. Is it wrong for me to run away from home?

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

I'm sorry to say this but your MIL sounds super toxic and I'd try to avoid and ignore at all cost. Your mental health and wellbeing is important too, and there's no scientific evidence that milk supply is affected by eating fried food. If you're struggling with supply, try to power pump, latch regularly or other proven methods. Milk vomitting could be due to reflux or gassiness so try to pat baby for a long time on your shoulder after feeding. Not pooping for many days is normal for breastfed babies. But either way, for your own sanity please try to avoid your mil for now. She doesn't seem like the best person to help you or your baby, can you find other options? Move out to your own place, get helper or infant care?

Read more
4y ago

Thanks. My milk supply is improving slowly. Husband always ask me to communicate with his mum which I really don't know how to. She drives me crazy during my whole confinement period. To be honest, she not exactly toxic, but she came from a different country with a different culture and character. Both me & my husband can't get along with both in laws so we agree to put baby to infant care when she is 3.5months old. I can't wait her to return back to Hong Kong. My family living in a small unit, therefore husband don't really like the idea of me going back to my mother's place.