Parents who have helpers at home: do you think it's better to get someone experienced who has worked in Singapore before, or someone totally new to train? We're 2 heads about this, and hoping to get some insights. Thanks loads!

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

From my experience, a new maid without experience requires time and patience as sometimes due to language barrier there is miscommunication unless u know some Malay or bahasa if u r hiring an Indonesian maid. The ease part is that they will not try to be funny as they are in a foreign country and if ure lucky, they could be really hardworking. For those experienced maid, they do know where they can run to and how to talk back or debate with you on housework or even things that u are unhappy with their working attitude. As experienced maid, they tend to think that they are "clever" as they have work for few years. If u are ready to handle experience maid then it shouldn't be an issue. That's my own point of view in experience.

Read more
7y ago

Yes, and they can diff story to diff ppl.

VIP Member

I think it depends on your needs. If you do not have that much time and patience to train a brand new maid, then perhaps it's better getting an experienced one. But then, of course there are pros to getting a new helper too. I feel that if you are getting a helper to take care of baby, it is better to get an experienced one though.

Read more

Like the others say, it depends on your needs. My first ever maid was "fresh" but I had the time to train her as I was still pregnant at the time. But now, with two kids, I wouldn't have the time or patience to train someone in everything, so I would probably go for a transfer helper.

VIP Member

I would only go for a maid who has worked in Singapore before. I need her to hit the ground running and do not have time to train her or get her comfortable with the Singaporean way of life. My new help has 6 years SG experience. I am super thankful for it.

If you dont have time & patience to train that you're better off getting a transfer maid.. asK the maids you know they may have friends whom you can interview in advance. And maybe ask the maid to clean ur hse over the weekend to see if you like her

thanks for the heads up ladies! other friends suggested fresh ones so that they are "easier" to manage since those who have been here long enough tend to push boundaries. guess it depends on luck at the end of the day.

Depends on their language.. ex-singapore tend to speak better English so it's easier to communicate... someone totally new - might be difficult to communicate ....

VIP Member

Yea, I agree with Nalika. If you require the helper to take care of babies or your kids, it might be better to get someone with a little experience.

thanks