How do we use the drying rack, storage and steam steriliser?

New father here! My confinement nanny steam sterilised the bottles, then place on the bottle drying rack to dry before putting into a container to cover and keep. Is that the correct way to use all these things? I was thinking after sterilised if we put outside to dry, won’t it defeat the sterilisation? I would love to use direct from the sterliser but there’s limited space it can hold. Anyone share how you do it? And the storage container need to be in the fridge?

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I would suggest for below 6months old infants. Sterilised the bottles, dry clean immediately then put in a container ( for bottles, teats, cover etc only ) Do not wait on the drying rack. If you have a steriliser can directly use both function ( sterilised & Dry ) which is good. But if there’s limited space you can consider used bottles to soak in a boiling water to sterilised it then dry clean immediately, use mainly for bottle cloth only and put in a container. * traditional way * Or after boiling water then put in a dry steriliser function after the first batch been sterilised. You can wash two batches at once. You can get a XL OR XXL Container , no need to put in fridge. You just have to closed very tightly.

Read more

U are absolutely right. Anything you do after the sterilisation (wipe dry or put on drying rack) just defeats the purpose of sterilisation but ppl do it anyway. In my antenatal class, the instructor actually told us, right after sterilisation to clean hands and then fit together the steriliser bottle parts and cap, and then you can leave it, the insides will remain sterile for 24 hrs ie no need to dry, just close up the bottles. For me personally, I just leave them in the steriliser and use them wet, until I moved to a uv steriliser subsequently.

Read more

I guess different people do it differently. For us, we also placed the items on the drying rack to dry after washing. We didn't even keep it inside a storage box. It's good to be hygiene & clean but we didn't want everything to be too 'clean' or else baby will get easily affected in the future when there's a 'little bit' of bateria.

Read more
VIP Member

I hv used the drying rack only after sterilise .. we r can’t sterilise everything n also we can’t clean each n everything.. of course we keep clean but still it become dirty again , but our own body develops immune system n fights for bacteria so don’t keep too much concern on tht .. as long as the surface is clean no need to worry

Read more
TapFluencer

After wash straight put into UV sterilizer for drying & sterilise - this batch will be use 1st Balance will be keep at hanging rack and put into sterilizer when there's space. Sterlizer will act as storage area for me You don't need to follow CN, do what you think is convenient to you and logic.

Read more

Agree that steps sound weird as drying the bottles outside will accumulate some germs or bacteria again and defeats purpose of steaming in the first place. How about changing to UV steriliser? Can keep inside after sterilising.

Super Mum

If we think about it, nothing is really completely sterile at home 😅. So when I had a steam steriliser, I would also put the bottles on the drying rack (but ensure it’s clean). My LO didn’t have issues.

That's what I thought too. But I noticed if i dont dey the bottles before keeping, the box actually smells. And sometimes it moulded.

TapFluencer

Get a steam steriliser with drying function la. Im using the one from Autumnz

Thks for all your sharing. Now I understand why ppl use UV ones.