My wife wants to go back to work a month after delivery.

My wife wants to go back to work a month after delivery. Should I encourage her to or tell her to take more time with our newborn? I travel a lot and don't want my daughter suffering at such a tender age without one of us around most of the time. Do advise!

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

It's her call. Mothers makes huge sacrifices carrying a child and delivering, if her work is important for her and she decide so, support her, help her. Help put in place everything possible so she can go back to work - schedules, helpers, in-laws, equipment like breast-pumps. It's going to be hard, from everything i have read, she would not have recovered fully in a month and breast feeding is very taxing. Life is a balancing act, giving birth and raising a child is tremendous experience and all parents want to give the best to the child. Reality is that there are sometimes trade-offs and what your wife want is important too. If well planned, I believe you can really have your cake and eat it too - raising a child and giving the best to him or her, esp in quality time and upbringing, while still having a full life as an individual.

Read more