My two year old has suddenly turned stubborn and it gets every embarrassing for me to handle him in public. Is anyone else facing the same problem?

18 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Welcome to the terrible twos! This is the time when you’ll hear more ‘No’ than even ‘mom’ and ‘dada.’ But bear in mind that this is in no way a defiance towards you. Your little son is actually developing his independence and learning how to express frustration. But remember that this is just a phase and will get over quickly. Although its important to note that expecting your kids to control themselves or behave a certain way in group settings is expecting way too much from them. So remember to not treat your almost preschooler like an older child is just going to make him more clingy. Its best to continue to show your love and but remember to refrain from open-ended discussions that may cause frustration and confusion. During a temper tantrum, try to remain calm and do not laugh or confront him. Instead, ignore your child for a bit without any eye contact. Post the tantrum reassure him of your love and in a relaxed tone, teach him to express his feelings through words.

Read more
VIP Member

That's why it's called the Terrible Twos. Your son is at the age where he feels the need to have control over something. I suggest giving him limited choices. For example, if you want him to put on his shoes, instead of commanding him ("Put on your shoes now!"), try giving him a choice ("Would you like to put on your blue sneakers or white shoes today?") http://www.positiveparentingsolutions.com/terrible-twos

Read more

Yes yes. This phase can be the most difficult to handle. Kids are learning to say no, do the exact opposite to annoy you. I know it’s easier said than done, but you will have to be more patient and try not to react to his antics. That way he won’t get motivated to do it more to gain more reaction. Best way out is to distract him to something else instead of saying no. All the best!

Read more

As a parent, your job is to help your young toddler navigate the tide of strong emotions she is experiencing this year. This is no small task, because the emotional lives of 2-year-olds are complex. This year they are beginning to experience feelings like pride, shame, guilt, and embarrassment for the first time.

Read more
VIP Member

I think your child is trying to get your attention. At this age, children begin to develop feelings which they are unable to handle. Rather than always correcting him you can try talking to him about what he feels and help him with coping, give him ideas about how to manage his emotions.

5y ago

Hi sis! pls help 🙏 pa like naman po ng photo ni baby ⬇️ thank much! https://community.theasianparent.com/booth/159967?d=ios&ct=b&share=true

Don’t feel embarassed it’s normal stage for your 2 year old kid to get through and for you as well. Be understandble and firm. Maybe try bring toys colors or his favourite book? Try not to get too like shopping as they will gonna get really bored

The best way is to exercise patience but yet be firm at the same time. No point blowing up. If you have to stop any physical acts, grab your child firmly by the arm (not aggressively) and pull him away to a quiet place.

5y ago

Hi sis! pls help 🙏 pa like naman po ng photo ni baby ⬇️ thank much! https://community.theasianparent.com/booth/159967?d=ios&ct=b&share=true

It’s the terrible 2. Each time I just tell myself it will get over soon n actually my child is trying to explore n communicate but can’t at the moment. Have to be thick skin in public .

Be firm and reasonable with your two year old, as a mummy I do understand when other parents handle their children in public, terrible two is a real phase but it will pass :)

TapFluencer

He is going through the terrible two stage. You need to be loving but firm with him. He needs to know there are boundaries he needs to stay in or punishment will be given otherwise.

5y ago