My newborn wants to latch every hour. Is that normal? Hospital said it should be every 3 hours...am I "spoiling her" if I let her latch and suck every hour?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

It's quite difficult to spoil newborns, so don't worry and latch your baby when you feel like it. If you let her latch every hour, you might find yourself getting exhausted though. You could get the lactation consultants at the hospital to see if you are latching your baby the correct way. Improper latching may frustrate the baby and she will want to latch more often if she can't drink enough each session.

Read more

Latching every hour is normal for less than a week old. Their stomach is tiny that's why the need for frequent or cluster Feed. There's also many times where you might need to restart in less than 10-15 mins Here's a guide for you. Don't forget to give your nipples a break by wiping them and applying cream

Read more
Post reply image

Does your baby fall asleep half way each time during latching? You can try to let her latch longer for one side. If she fall asleep half way, try to tickle her ear gently to wake her up. Baby might want to latch for comfort too, you can try to swaddle your baby so she can feel more secured and sleep longer.

Read more

Newborn tummy is very small, and breastmilk is easily digested so it is no wonder that frequent feeding is required. My gynae had advised me to feed on demand if I am breastfeeding since we don't know how much he had. As long as there is enough wet diapers a day, that's fine

Yes, agree with Nooraini. Feeding on demand can also help establish your supply. Don't think you are spoiling her but just keeping up with her demand. :)

VIP Member

No. You are not spoiling her! This is the reality of nursing.

Post reply image

thanks

that's fine as NB have very little stomach.

You are not spoiling her