Breastfeed

Hi, my baby currently at 23 days old. Is it normal for her to latch for one hour? At times she will bf 5min at her supposed 3 hour time , then she will want to drink again 1 or 2 hour later. But at times, she will latch for 1 hour or more yet seems hungry. Do we also need to pump after every feed? As I SAHM, so most of the time i let her latch but if i really need to do housechore ill let her drink formula. TIA

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

1hr is pretty long. You can do 20 to 30 mins latch, then pump and keep ur stash. If she demands more milk, you can top up with bottle feed FM/EBM alternate with direct latch. She's drinking quite good but sometimes we can't keep up. Letting baby to latch too long or every 15 to 20 mins though she demand is not good. Your nipple will get blister. My first child demands milk every 15 to 20 mins though during her feeding time she drink pretty good. So I will top up with bottle feed with FM and let her have her pacifier (when needed) This is to also avoid her from being overfed and vomit too. You do the feeding time routine and to ensure she doesn't over feed. You can also do house work easily without getting distrupted.

Read more