My husband recently decided to hand over to me his entire paycheck every cut off and budget it for him. This includes utilities, groceries, his allowance, his parents' allowance, etc. For some reason, I am not comfortable with it. I do not like explaining why there is not much left, or where did some of it go. I am not sure I want to handle it. But I think this is his effort of making me feel more important. I dont know how to tell him that I am not ok with this new task. :(

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

The main reason why your husband gave you this task is because he trusts you. In my opinion, this is actually a milestone in a relationship. Money shouldn't be a big thing, but we can all agree that it is very important. Your husband gave you this duty because he believes in you. Now, if you don't feel comfortable with that, talk to him about it. Let him know how you feel about doing all the budgeting. Let him know your worries so you two can come up with a solution. Just because he gave you that task, it is yours alone. You can compromise and ask him to be there with you when you budget all your expenses so you won't have a hard time telling him why it's like that -- because he'll be there with you through the process :) He gave you that task because he knows you can do it. Don't just shrug it off. At least try to talk to him about how you're feeling about this new task so he can also make adjustments for you. Communication is key :) Hope this help!

Read more

How about having a separate account for the money he gives you? From that amount, portion an amount for his personal expenditure and use the remaining for all the household-related expenditures. Use your personal savings for your own spending. This way, you need not explain anything with regard to how you've spend the money. Whatever that remains could be used as budget for family vacations. ;p I'm adapting from having a joint account for household spending. Finances are tricky but I do think that it is a good way to track and manage the household spending. You can also contribute to that account so that the expenses are shared. Just my two cents! :)

Read more

Since this is the first time you have been given the responsibility, why not give your best shot? You might be really good at it, maybe even better than your hubby. Also, it will take a lot of burden of your husband's back. There are plenty of tools available online at your disposal that will help you plan finances so do not worry. If after couple of months, you do not get hang of it, talk to your hubby. I am sure he will understand.

Read more

My Husband pass me most of his pay every month and he dun need to know where I spend it on n left with how much because he trust that I will be able to handle the money wisely. I'm the one who will automatically let him know what I had buy & left with how much etc. Automatically tell ur hubby where u spend the money on.. Gradually he will not wanna to ask u anymore

Read more

Be honest -- money is often a sensitive and difficult thing to deal with in a relationship and if it bothers you too much, just say no. Alternatively, you can suggest that you will take on the duty but only for household related stuff (groceries, children) as you have a better understanding of these things and not his allowance etc. I'm sure he will understand.

Read more

wow! yr hubby simply trust you more than 100% having to manage someone else's money is never easy. super sensitive issue should any arises. if possible, keep all accounts clear. you may wish to share with yr husbamd on your concern so as to prevent any future misunderstanding.

Read more