My cousin complains that her 4-month-old son gets forceful and agitated during nursing. She tries to distract him by talking to him while feeding, but sometimes she has to take him off, let him relax, and try again. She finds it very embarrassing to feed him in public. Could it be that he's too hungry, or that she's not producing enough milk? What can she do?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

It could be due to a forceful letdown which chokes the baby. Changing the nursing position may help. Instead of having the baby lie down, sit the baby in an upright position or lie back (baby is in a tummy time position) to nurse. This lets baby have more control over the milk flow. There are many factors as to why a baby is agitated when nursing. He could just be tired and sleepy. My baby gets very frustrated and wails non stop when she is tired AND sleepy at the same time. Most times, she refuses to latch and would rather sleep on a hungry stomach. I have to dreamfeed her after she falls asleep. http://kellymom.com/hot-topics/fussy-while-nursing/

Read more