My breasts feel empty! Has my milk supply decreased?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Are you direct latching your baby or exclusive pumping? When my no.2 was 1-2 months old he did not want to latch and I was exclusively pumping breastmilk. I realised my supply was getting lesser and lesser and had the empty feeling when baby turns 4 months old (it could be due to I did not pump consistently and longer for each pump). Thus, I decided to fully latch my baby by training him to suck from breasts and finally I can feel my breasts were full and hard again. If you are exclusively pumping, you can try power pumping method, http://www.lowmilksupply.org/powerpumping.shtml

Read more
VIP Member

Felt the same way before especially when my kid turned older and can eat solid foods already - breast was lumpy, so soft and baby was latching less. Then realised that it did not happened only once therefore felt that it's completely normal - baby poops the same frequency, gains weight and stayed healthy. On my end I tried to be not so stressed about it and let it be. And bear in mind that the supply is directly affected by baby's demands and needs.

Read more

Well, having soft breast doesn't mean that your milk supply has decreased. It would most likely means that you have fully expressed your milk and it's a good sign. On the other hand, if you do have engorgement, it might also be a good sign as it would means that they are adjusting to the demand of the supply. Usually, if you are direct latching, it is normal to feel this way cos baby is sucking well. Great job! Keep it up.

Read more

Feeling empty is not a bad sign. It may means that you baby has emptied your breast. So long as baby has an average of 6-8 wet diapers a day, you are quite safe. If you wish to increase your milk production, you can pump after latching your baby. This will send a signal to your brain that your baby requires more milk and automatically, the body will produce more.

Read more
VIP Member

It is normal for breasts to feel soft and empty. Engorgement (fullness of breasts) happens when the body is adjusting to match supply with demand. After 6 to 12 weeks, the body would have regulated the supply of milk and breasts would feel empty and soft http://www.theindusparent.com/how-to-increase-breast-milk-effectively

Read more

I had the same doubt before and later realised that soft breasts don't mean empty breasts. It means that your breasts have just matched the demand. When I pump Everyday, I just pump enough for my baby's next day feeds with a little extra.

thanks