My 3yo always shouts "I don't like you" whenever she is angry or not getting what she wants. I know she doesn't mean it but it can be demoralizing at times. Does it happen to you too, and how do you deal with it?

17 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You might want to spend some time to reconnect with your child to understand what is the underlying issue. You can do some role play with her using two little dolls and act it out. I noticed my girl (3.5 years old) behave badly when she need a good cry or laugh due to some issue in school. For example, teacher tell her she is naughty as she never finish her food although she is full or she got bully by classmate. They acts out what they experience as they are not able to explain how they feel at this age.

Read more

It does happen to my 4yrs old son did that to my mum. He will say I dont like Grandmother when he is angry with her. I will explain to him how much Grandmother adores him. And explain that its not very nice to use that words. So if he is angry he can say in another way" I am angry with you instead of I don't like you." This age they still don't know the seriousness and consequences from these words. Have to be patient to them to explain as they are still young to express well.

Read more
VIP Member

Kids are very simple, if they say they don't like you, it's a behavior problems already, it's better to correct it back and stop them from saying this as it may last forever. When she say she want, not say it's correct to give in, but try to give her something else and tell her, cannot say that again, it'll very hurting to you, explain to her why you don't want get for her and let them know the reason, so they will Not repeat again. They are old enough to know what is going on.

Read more
VIP Member

Happened with my 4 year old when she was at that age. What I did was to calm her down and ask why and what happened? Then I emphatize with her and offer solutions and alternatives. I always give her a hug and tell her if she needs to cry because she is upset, angry, it is ok to do so. You can refer to this good read: http://www.positiveparentingconnection.net/when-your-child-says-i-hate-you/ Hope it helps and you will persevere. :)

Read more

Don't be discouraged, honestly think she doesn't even know what she's saying. She has limited vocabulary and doesn't know how to express herself properly so "I don't like you" is probably a go-to statement for everything. Children know no malice, just be patient with her. You could perhaps reply, "but I will always love you" when she says she doesn't like you. Counter "dislike" with love

Read more

My girl will do that to me at times. I will replied her in a relaxing manner. 'R u sure? U sure u dun like Mama? Mama is so sad(pretend to be sad), my Baobei dun like me anymore!' Usually she will feel remorseful, walk over n hug me. 'I like u la Mama!' important is dun take it to heart as at such age they might not even know what is Like or Dun Like

Read more

it happens to my 3 years old too! usually this happens when we force her to do something she doesn't like such as showering and eating vegetable; she will cry out loud that I hate you; but the next hour she would forget this and say I love you again. so Don't be demoralized; she doesn't really mean that.

Read more

Ah..happen to me also. But usuali...I wil response.."u dun like me?? i love you..i love ur sister..ur daddy"...den she will look and say..I love you too. guess..they jus say bt dun reali mean it. or learn it frm smewhere and start saying dat each time dey angry. heee... dun tke it too hard.

DD tells me she doesn't like me, hates me, wants to unfriend me all the time. I always tell her I don't want to be her Friend - I am here to be her Mother. She can unlike me, hate me - but one day she will realise that everything I did was cause I love her

No he is not saying that and if he says so I will tell him that it was wrong and I will explain to why it is wrong to say that and I will explain to him why he couldn't get everything he wanted so I cannot spoil him