My 3 year old daughter is addicted to watching cartoons/ toddler programs on YouTube. She's gained the intelligence to even unlock my phone and remembers my passcode very well. How do I get her to lose interest? I usually give in to her during meal times as I want her to finish the food.

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I think you can consider having a “no gadgets at table” week. Make it into something fun. For example, you can say that this week we will be learning to appreciate having meals together. Try involving your child when you are doing her meal preparation (putting ingredients into bowls, washing and/or measuring out ingredients, setting the table etc) to get her excited and to look forward to meal time. Emphasize that she is the sous chef for the week and engage her in conversations during the meal time. Talk to her about the process of making the meal, what she enjoyed, what she would like to do the next time, what would she like to try making next. These may help distract her from wanting to watch the YouTube videos. Of course, this would mean that you will need to refrain from using any gadgets as well (and same to anyone else who is at the table with you and your child). Not sure if this will work, but no matter what you try, you will need to be firm and consistent in order for her to kick the habit. Explain the rule clearly. If she refuses to eat her meal, take it away (but offer it again at a later time, with the same rule in place). It will be difficult, tears and protests will be expected so you will need to stay firm if you want to see results. All the best!!!

Read more

Different kids has different ways to tackle. If you have already used this method to make sure she finishes her food, it may be tough but still able to change this habit. She may start off with crying as you have interrupted her routine but you are left with no choice. You have to be firm and ensure that this habit is kicked off. You may wish to do it slowly like from 30 mins reduced to 15 mins, then to 10 mins, then to 5 mins and eventually 3x a week, once a week, etc ... In this way, the changes are not so fast and difficult for the kids to adapt.

Read more

I removed the phone to my 2 year old son TOTALLY. We also stopped using phone and television in front of my baby to set as a best example. I divert him to other toys. As early as 1 week i can see the difference, he become less moody and able to concentrate on other things. He begin playing his toys and until now he forgot to use a phone. Instead of youtube, i personally teach him the things he must learn. We also enroll him in a playgroup so he will be busy in a productive way.

Read more

You have to make sure she kicked off this bad habit which you have made her nurtured. Take things slowly so that it will not cause backfire. Alternatively, you can change it from Youtube to others like providing her with a reward system. This will enables her to finishes her food in a shorter time and you share the knowledge that there is always alternatives available. Taking this opportunity to share with her the pros and cons too.

Read more

My 5 yrs old was like that, watching tv or YouTube during meals. It was challenging and hard battling with her on the gadgets. So, I told her tv is spoilt. I replaced with games to make her finish her meal fast like I am challenging u to see who eats the fastest. I also give her sticker whenever she doesn't need to watch and eat. She will get a present for 3 stickers and then I extend. Reward system works pretty well for my children.

Read more

i had this issue too. my nephew (1+ yr old) addicted to phone. he cried over phone everyday. sometimes i just let him cry and talk to him bout other things that MIGHT interest him. can anyone share how to manage this issue?

The ideas above sound good... One thing that worked for our daughter was to clearly say the ipad is for the weekend only. Somehow that made it more bearable for her

They're smart, unlocking the phone isn't a big deal. Try to show her, avoid using it in front of her especially during meal time and give her other distractions.

bigyan ng ibang pagkakabusyhan www.facebook.com/doczane