Mums, if you find an usual number of men's numbers in your helper's diary, is this something you would worry about? How would you investigate? Or would you just question her?

25 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I would respect her privacy but observe her closely. There may be a perfectly good explanation for the number of male contacts she has. Maybe she is more friendly towards the opposite sex or they could mostly be her relatives. If these friendships/relationships start to interfere with her work performance, then I will step in and have a conversation with her. If not, I'll just let her have her privacy and not worry too much about how she chooses to spend her down time.

Read more

I will try to observe more and pay attention if she has any behavioral change e.g. chat on phone always, the places she goes during off day etc. Personally I won't be questioning her directly as she might get frustrated knowing that someone is reading her diary. It is better to wait until there are more concrete evidences that the maid is dating someone. If you are still worry, you can install camera in house to monitor closely.

Read more

If your helper showed you their diary, they probably wants some help to better organise these numbers: show them how to use their phone contact app to store the contacts (with back up online) without risk of losing them; if your helper did not show you their diary, wonder about the implication for the respect of privacy value you are demonstrating.

Read more

Wow, firstly that's a privacy invasion and you should not do that unless other experiences with the person haven't been good but then again you should just find someone else if it's bothering you that much. And if nothing of that sort has happen and this is the only thing which is making you doubt her than you are being a little paranoid I guess.

Read more

I don't think there is something to worry about, but ya you can be more careful in observing her behavior (again, it depends how long she is working with you.) Personally, I respect the privacy of others. Agreed with others regarding an investigation, having CCTV installed would be great idea.

VIP Member

Agree with Jamie about not intruding your helper's privacy. However, I understand that you are all for safety and being cautious. For now, just keep on observing if there's a change in her attitude or the way she behaves because you wouldn't want her to have a poor performance at work.

VIP Member

Yes, I would be cautious. Then again, you shouldn't have been snooping on your maid and intruding her privacy. If you have a CCTV, do monitor and see if she is bringing anybody home. Also, she won't be able to escape the biannual medical check-up if she's pregnant.

The only point where I'll start to worry is if I suspect she's bringing them into our home. In other cases, who she spends her time with on her down time or off days shouldn't be any of my concern as long as she can handle herself and is safe

Not sure why you are snooping in the first place. How would you feel if she did the same thing to you? She is a human being who deserves privacy and respect, just like everyone else. Who she is in contact with is none of your concern.

I'll only worry if she bring those guys into your home. Other than that, I feel you should respect her privacy. But if you really don't trust her, you might want to install a CCTV in your house just to make sure.