Helper

Mummies who have helper, can u share the roles of a helper? Does she take care of yr LO all the time (weekdays and weekends) or only when u are working? Does she do housework too? As now I am WFH, it is quite unclear to me as my helper takes care of my LO all the time and I only want her to take care while I am working, husband disagrees. Also walking to my PIL hse, my helper keep say she want to carry but I insist it is ok..if she carry den I'll be the one carrying diaper bags and stuffs, is this funny? 1st time hiring helper and 1st time mum so not too sure wad to expect. I am asking these as I am managing expectations so that helper does not take over the role of a mum. Thanks.

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

You are the employer so feel free to set boundaries and do what you're most comfortable with. When you want to take care of your child, you should do it. For my helper her main task is to take care of the toddler because there are only few chores to do (light cleaning, laundry, sometimes cooking), and when she's busy doing her chores I'll step in to take care of the toddler. When I feel like it, I take small breaks during my wfh and help her with feeding, bathing, entertaining etc, but by default these are her job. If you offer help I don't think the helper or your husband have any reason to object? And just because she's taking care of your child doesn't mean she can replace the role of a mother, so don't worry about that :)

Read more
4y ago

Hi from your other comments I feel like you should assert your position as an employer more, and let your helper know she's overstepping her boundaries. Technically if she's new she's still in a "probation" period (because you can still send her back to the agency during this time if I'm not wrong?) so she should be following your instructions. Maybe sit her down (together with your husband if necessary), it could be when you're giving her salary, and have a serious feedback talk. Tell her what she's been doing well, what can be improved, what you think she should stop. You can even offer a small reward if she improves so it motivates her. And if she really can't improve at all, say you would send her back. Good luck mummy.