LO eating his hand

Hi mummies, my LO keep sucking his mitten until its soaked with his saliva. When removed his mittens, he wants to put his fingers or whole fist in his mouth. He is currently 9 weeks old. Is this a sign of teething? Should I latch him for comfort? Currently just bottle feeding him.

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

May not be teething. Some babies just have a very strong sucking reflex. #1 was like that too. Mittens kept getting soaked through, kept changing every few hours. We intro pacifier to him and it reduced the soaked mitten issue. #2 didn't suck his hands/mittens much and so and we did not have to intro pacifier to him. Just sharing how we experienced it, not saying whether pacifier is right or wrong solution, each to his own.

Read more
4y ago

Thanks mummy! Yup I tried using pacifier for my boy and bought different brands, he suck the pacifier for a good few mins but eventually spat it out 😅

VIP Member

It’s normal. It could be teething or just a suckling action. To babies, it’s very comforting to suckle. They may not be hungry, just want comfort.

Yup normal. My baby is 3 mths now and also put her hands in her mouth especially when sleepy. It’s self-soothing for them.

It’s common. My LO currently behave like this too. Sometimes she sucks everything she can grab hold of even my arm.

4y ago

Haha yes arms, shoulders and our fingers too! 😂

Super Mum

It’s normal.. you can remove the mittens already. He’s learning that he has something called hands 😆

4y ago

Thanks mummy!

VIP Member

Baby is discovering his hands. Just let him do it as this may teach him to self soothe

4y ago

Ok thanks mummy!

VIP Member

Might not be teething though. Sometimes they do that for comfort.

Ya u see my arm lol sometime very painful thou

Post reply image

How about pacifier?

VIP Member

Yup. Normal