boy's name - Toby

Hi mummies, I need your advice. I'm planning to name my baby boy: Toby. But my husband and colleagues told me that it sounds cute when he's still a child but he might grow up to hate this name? They said "imagine people calling him Toby at 30, 40, 50 years old?" I really do like this name though. I'm a Christian and Toby means "God is good" I'm in dilemma right now, should i forsake this name? Or dont put it in his birth cert but still call him Toby?

30 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

As long as you and hubby love the name, your son will be used to it whether he is 10, 20 or 50.... where got people say my name is weird after using it for so long... he don’t like, he still has Chinese name? You can also don’t put on birth certificate if u wish. I refuse to tell people what name we chose for our baby cause there are many opinions but only yours and hubby’s matter.

Read more
Super Mum

Toby’s a nice name. But whatever we, or other people think, shouldn’t matter. This is your son. And he will always be your son, even when he’s 30/40/50. So if you’re happy to call him that his entire life, why should what the rest of us say matter? :) Just go ahead with it... and congratulations in advance for giving birth to Toby:)

Read more
TapFluencer

I think it’s okay so long u and ur hubby agree on it. There’s no such thing as sounding cute when the child grows into an adult. Then what about giving “uncle” names on babies, people will be like “eeek so uncle?!” So how to categorised as cute or uncle names?

Super Mum

Don't think so much. I think this name is very meaningful. Funny for your colleagues to comment that name sounded too cute? OK for name to sound cute. Ask them what are some of the old uncle names.

I want to name my son Toby too but my husband don’t like it. I guess both of your have to compromise on a name. Like for us, we found another name and both of us end up liking it alot too.

Toby's a nice name. As long as you and hubby like it, don't be bothered what others say. Alternatively, boy's name can be Tobias with 'Toby' for short or as a nick.

VIP Member

maybe can name something like tobias then her nickname will be toby, or u name her with 2 words so he have 2 option later like toby alexander then surname

VIP Member

Some parents only reveal it after the baby is out, so that they don't get so much opinions. Toby is a cute name and can evolve across the generations

Every name is beautiful in its meaning. Toby itself is a good name (sound) , just don’t choose a name that sounds funny like Docky, Dogi, etc

Just like my sis name christabel... She call herself Chris. Is so meaningful, don't think too much. He will blessed you name that.