Fullday Childcare Dilemma

Hi mummies, I am looking for some opinions from you. I am a first-time mom. My boy is now 21 months old, he started cc since Last month. At first, of course, he cried badly, but after a week, he started to enjoy and was so happy every day we put on his uniform. He would say "kul kul" (school) 😀. Although he actually still cries during class sometimes, I decided to try full day since last week. He sleeps so poorly, 20 - 30 minutes. He's usually a good napper at home, 2 - 3 hours. His teacher said that sometimes he cried badly when he woke up and disturbed other children. I know it's still less than 2 weeks he move to full day, and I've read many moms said it takes months for their kids to adjust. But I am kind of feeling guilty and keep asking myself if my LO is not ready for a full day. Should we move back to half day? Also, the teacher said he is still not comfortable with other teachers except her and still not playing with other children in his class. My LO sticks to her everywhere she goes. I have to admit my LO is a slow to warm up kid and shy. So it makes me think, is he not enjoying the cc? It's been 1 month, and he is still not making any friends. Should I put him to more playbased class instead of cc? #FTM #pleasehelp #firstbaby

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Maybe ask yourself, 'What is your purpose for sending your boy to childcare? Is it for him to learn, socialize, or become independent? as for the teachers' feedback - 1. It's quite normal for a child to stick with one teacher. 2. Napping for 20-30 minutes is also normal. There are children who don't nap at all. 3. Teachers should be able to handle children we'll when they cry I will recommend checking with the teacher how they will assist in the transition.

Read more
6mo ago

thanks for your opinion. My main purpose is for him to socialize and interact more with other children at his age, because at home he only interacts with helper while hubby n me go to office. when we bring him to the playground, he only observes other children playing and still prefers to play with us. That's why I think by putting him in cc, he has a more regular interaction, and he can learn to play with his peers. I am more convinced that he should be in half day🙂

He’s only 21 months young, give him more time :) Some kids are introvert or prefer to observe instead of participating, which is totally fine. It doesn’t mean they are less clever or what. Or maybe, your lo simply doesn’t enjoy that cc?

Read more