Friend or Foe?

Hi mummies, I have this friend who gave birth few months later than me. My child is now 23 months old. This friend out of 10 WhatsApp and face to face conversations, she will boast about how smart her son is such as, at her son's age, he is very advanced can play kick scooter, can play swing independently(but once she came my house and we went downstairs her son can't swing at all), can bathe himself, wash his own hands, remove diaper, recognise boy and girl, she says her son and her niece PD are the same and she says her PD says her son is smarter than her niece(is there even PD that will say things like this?), than says her PD assess her son's brain during normal checkup to be 3 years old(is there even such assessment during a normal check up)and the list goes on. My son is still not talking yet, only occasionally one word at times and mostly making sounds. My friend's son is talking few words and according to her sentences now, and my friend asked me if my son is talking sentences as her son is. I've hinted her there is not a need for comparison as each baby have their different milestones. To me, what her son are good at(which my son already knows) but I don't boast to her. Also, there are things my son is good at but her son is not and vice versa. I gets really uncomfortable with the conversation each time. How our conversation always ended up about how smart her son is, for example, she will complain to me say her friend compares her kid with her son and she will go on to say how smart her son is to me or she will complain her husband pick on her son but she says he should be thankful their son is very smart can do etc. etc. etc and the list goes on to me. Also, our conversation always have her son as topic, but when I talk about how smart my son is once or twice(since she is always at it) she ignores what I said. Besides her son, she also likes to boast about her assets. Once she texted me she left her home without locking the door(she stays condo) and she says she have 8 rolex in her house so she called her guard to close the door for her. Do u think this kind of friend is consider friend? Overall, I have unfriended her before more than once but gets soft hearted each time she finds me back. When I did not contact her, I feel my life is peaceful. Do u think I should unfriend her once and for all? #pleasehelp #advicepls

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Just ignore her. No need to Unfriend her but just be slow in your responses, be short on your replies when you reply her, so she get the idea that you are patronizing her 😂 cos usually these kind of behavior is attention seeking. So if you deprive her the pleasure of seeing you being jealous or envious she may get bored and also reduce showing off to you. Usually such behaviors is due to them lacking something in other areas of their lives…we won’t exactly know what it is but ya. Just live and let live ba. Could be husband and wife issue, personal life lack purpose and motivation etc so everything is about her son.

Read more

She’s making herself feel better by putting people down. There’s an obvious lack of self confidence that leads to this series of boasting. If you decide to keep her in your life, you have to keep your child away from this toxic behaviour and not let her words affect him and his self confidence. Comparison kills and the last thing we want is to destroy our child’s innocent happiness. Kids are perfect mirrors of their parents. You still can make a decision now in terms of the environment you want your child to grow up in. I’m sure every mum will want the best for their child. :)

Read more

so my friend's son started school 2 days ago and she boasted to me again "They were impressed by his language n Speech n understanding And also how he can participate in activities" what should I do? She's getting on my nerves🤦‍♀️As she knows my son cries everyday and is still adapting to sch..however on 1st week teacher says my son is very smart..he is angry in sch but still help to pack things..I told my friend this since she boasted about her son..den she replied ya her son also pack toys on his 1st day 🙄

Read more
2y ago

Yes been feeling peaceful when I unfriended her the last time round..its been 3 weeks and my son is still crying everyday.. thanks mummy😊

You can do very well without a friend that affects your mental health! I have a friend like that too and it’s tiring bc it pressures you when you aren’t even pressuring yourself to begin with! Just ignore her or if you’re soft-hearted just say “oh that’s great” and move on. That’s what I do. I don’t reply immediately too 😄 guard your own feelings and mental health okay? Not worth it!

Read more

I think she lacks attention and she wants people to know that she is doing so well as to boost her morale. Yeps i agree, just reply hey good to know! Keep it short and simple and if she stil carry on bragging, just read and only say something if it's a sensible question, else if she ask why not replying, say I'm busy with my family commitments. She can't probe. Keep it simple.

Read more
VIP Member

Just ignore.. I see such parent every single day in school! My child is capable of this & that, etc etc etc. but as a matter of fact, only we teachers know your child’s abilities & learning milestones coz we tend to spend more contact time with these children in school. 🤣🤣

VIP Member

Lol humble brag. I guess most ppl don't like ppl who do so nor do they like being compared. Anyway life is a long journey, whether or not her son will make it in life, is also a big mystery. For now, yall have common baby interests so just carry on. 😆

No need to unfriend, just ignore her. Reply her something like 'that's great, good, congratulations, I see' etc. No need to respond her immediately.

she sounds like she needs help lol. anyways just ignore! next time just reply her “congratulations” and nth else!

She probably just seeking for attention LOL. Just ignore her if you feel uncomfortable. If not , just let her be.