how to transit from ML to working again

hi hi mummies, how did u transition from maternity leave to working again? can share pls? i’m really dreading and afraid i cannot cope with working full time and then coming back to still latch/pump and look after baby. do u pump at night still? thanks for all sharing and advice!

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

It’s tough! Physically, and especially emotionally. Physically: my work was very tiring. When I came home, I really wanted to rest, but also missed by baby so much and wanted to keep the milk supply going too, so I would quickly carry baby and latch on, no matter how tired I was. I had a good breastfeeding set up at home, such that Incould be hands free while feeding, and even if I fell asleep while feeding, baby wouldn’t fall. So sometimes I just slept with baby on my lap. Both of us were happy for that little bonding. Haha. While I was at home after work, I tried to latch on as much as possible, and leave the pumping to during work time, so I didn’t need to wash the pump and all that so many times. Just got it ready for the next day at work. Emotionally: this was even harder. Mum guilt, missing baby, also being tired at work because I was feeding baby during the night... had to really consciously regulate my mood and try to stay positive. Got through day after day by the grace of God 😅 Also having a good support system is very important. My husband was awesome, and I had enough understanding colleagues/bosses, especially when I had to leave work suddenly for urgent baby matters. It will be overwhelming for a while, then it’ll get better. Hang in there and just do your best. Don’t expect perfection, just take it step by step☺️

Read more
3y ago

Thanks for sharing these tips! My ML is going to be over soon and i'm worried about the pumping and latching issue. Furthermore, im worried about how i need to balance work with all these as it can really get very tiring ☹️

VIP Member

It takes time to slowly adapt! But I believe you can do it! No, I dropped my night pumps alr😂

4y ago

thanks, i’m really at a loss as baby’s feeding is erratic. seems like the rest of mummies also have problems as nobody else shared. or maybe they just aced it so well naturally.