3rd trimester emotions

hi mummies is 3rd trimester depression a thing? i feel like towards the third trimester i get really affected by everything. ive been arguing alot w my family and crying alot to my husband. i can cry just random times of the day sometimes even while taking care of my toddler i can just burst out crying over something that idk seems petty to others but sensitive to me. and i get angry too easily as well. my emotions are all over the place. i dont find joy in watching movies or netflix my attention span is like not there. sometimes im scrolling through my phone but my mind is either blank or elsewhere. i cant even sleep well at night. i ended up deactivating my social media and staying away from everyone because im just that emotionally unstable. i tried to do things that makes me happy but i dont find joy in it. first pregnancy was like this too but it wasnt as hard dealing w it as it is this time round. is this normal? i used to be able to nap it off but now i have an active 18 months old to care for daily.

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi there strong momma! It is absolutely normal for you to feel like you’re unable to control your emotions. And there are scientific articles and research that show PPD still can creep in even if you have passed months after your first birth and some PP psychological symptoms might even start before you go head into the last few weeks of your pregnancy. There could be other issues that is leading up to your emotional feelings, such as hormones, lack of sleep or proper nutrition which all of this might cause a sudden dip in endorphins and serotonin. I would recommend that you try to explore the option that you might have some trauma during your first birth that might be triggering your insecurities for the arrival of your second. And if you really don’t have any, you might want to try methods that will help you relax your mind such as hypnobirthing tracks or explore prenatal yoga. I hope this helps. Hang in there, you’re stronger than you know it ❤️

Read more

Hi, I am only at 1st trim and have no experience like you, personally. However, I am a mental health social worker before, and I used to support some mothers with their mental wellbeing throughout pregnancy and post-partum. It is possible to have depressive symptoms at any stage of pregnancy and post pregnancy because of hormonal and life changes. Being a mother is not easy to begin with. So you are normal. Please don’t feel you are not right. But do consider either talking to your husband about how you’re feeling, or a trusted friend or family, or even consider approaching professional help. If you are with the govt hosps, they all have counsellors that you can speak to. Or even try approaching your nearest family service centre if you find your emotions hard to manage or if it’s affecting you so much that it affects your lifestyle. Hope things goes well for you!! ❤️❤️❤️ take care, babe!!

Read more
2y ago

thank you im 34 weeks now and it got worse. if i dont manage this well rn i might have even worse ppd this time round. was referred to a psychiatrist during the one month check up but my husband said no need to go as ill get used to it, also there wont be anyone caring for bb if i keep going for appt. i didnt know family service centre can just walk in and seek help. thank you sis.

Yup pretty normal. Before pregnant I was also depressed alr (not clinically diagnosed though) so it was worse for me during pregnancy. I just sleep every weekend during afternoon without caring about my toddler. I don’t even talk to my second baby. 33 weeks now