Help to deal with MIL

Hi mommies. My LO just turned 1 year old recently and MIL kept insisting that baby can eat the same food as us (cut them up) and even tried to feed baby fried nuggets last night. Luckily we saw and stopped her. She kept wanting to add soy sauce into baby's porridge, etc. She also wants to feed ribena and sweet drinks like 100plus. We told her no as baby does not need so much sodium now and might result in her liking food with heavier taste which is not good for her health in the future. Then, she will turn to baby and say "可怜啦 什么都不可以吃", meaning "aiyo poor thing, everything also cant eat". How can I tell her so that she understands this? To her, she fed her child (my husband) like this when he is young and he grew up well. Of course, she does respect us and stop feeding such food when we said no. But i cant stand the fact that she will tell baby that she is so poor thing and her parents does not let her eat all the "delicious" food?! And also not sure what she will feed her when we are not around ?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Oh dear. I know how you feel. Sometimes the elders in my family will say this kind of things too but I am taking care of my LO so they can’t feed her things secretly. You are right to make a stand to protect your LO. Feeding unhealthy and high caloric food now will lead to obesity and health issues in future. You have to ask your husband to step in and tell his mother to stop saying these negative words to your LO. She is just trying to make you feel bad. Typical behaviour of the older generation. I tend to ignore them. Encourage positive behaviour and words!

Read more