Feeling inadequate

Hi mommies, My in-laws are making me feel inadequate all the time since I m formula feeding mostly. My LO is 6 weeks old and I m trying my best to breastfeed her but my supply is so low I only make enough for 1-2 feeds. My in-laws keep taunting me that I m not trying hard enough. It's already so hard to juggle everything and such comments on top make me feel so bad and as a failure. They made a comment that it's like giving McDonald's vs home cooked food and that triggered me a lot. My baby is happy and fed and I give her whatever bm I m able to make. Isn't being a happy mom more important than killing us over trying to breastfeed??

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

This is the thing about people (especially elderly or mil specifically) who dont understand the hardship of breastfeeding. They think milk just comes freeflow and that everyone should have milk that they forgot most people grew up formula fed and is equally healthy and strong. There is no scientific proven that kids that don’t eat enough home cooked food will be any weaker than those who eats home cooked food everyday what. Or maybe you can ask her if she wants to take up the cooking role when baby is able to take solids? It’s not like everyone have enough time or energy to use every single day to cook all 3 meals of HCF, especially those who needs to work and have no other help. And yes, being a happy mom and getting our sanity back is more important than breastfeeding. Stress is the biggest milk killer. So while they care about baby’s wellbeing, they should think about the milk maker (you)‘s wellbeing first. You are already doing your best so try to not let her get into you.

Read more

Yes! I agree with yall mamas. I am pro about breastfeeding actually. But when my boy came out, things just didn't go as planned. Low bm and no sleep. Day 5 postpartum and I've had my objective set on making sure my kid is safe in my arms and fully fed. So I had my sanity back with rest and my boy filled happily to the brim with formula. I paid no heed to my surroundings; my mom especially drilling me all day everyday about benefits of bm. I'm just not a factory producing it for my boy. But look at him now, a very happy and healthy boy! Formulas now are improved with lots of nutrients for babies. The older gen needs to accept that.

Read more

Please ignore them and prioritize your mental health. You're already doing your best mama! As long as our baby is fed well and growing up well, we should ignore those negative remarks. 🤍

TapFluencer

yes, i believe stress plays a major part in my bm being low

❤️