Postnatal pads

Hi mommies! Im looking at postnatal pads and unsure whats the difference between maternity pads vs normal pads? Is disposable panties better as well? Also, is the kotex overnight panties really much better? How many pieces/ packets would you advise preparing for at least the first week or two? Thanks alot!

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I like kotex overnight panties as it didn't leak at all but it's pricey. You can just get one or two boxes for the initial day when the bleeding is the most. I prefer to use kotex overnight sanitary pads (42cm) over the hospital issued tena maternity pads. Maternity pads don't have wings and are much thicker. I did finish the maternity pads cause I didn't want to waste them and I wore them with disposable panties from Bove. I had no leakage wearing that combination. The disposable panties are made of cotton and its more fitting than the types from Watsons or Guardian. Though the Bove ones are called disposables, they are really good quality and I've washed them a number of times throughout my confinement. The only issue with them is that they are in boy shorts cut and they do roll up at the thigh area; does live up to its marketing of holding maternity pad in place. Maternity pads and regular panties leaked the most often for me. https://bove.co/products/spring-seamless-mesh-disposable-panty-pack-of-3?_pos=5&_sid=e346afb45&_ss=r I would suggest getting sufficient for 2-4 changes a day; each product has a different number of pads in a pack, just go by the number of times you intend to change. Don't have to overbuy cause I did end up with extras. After week 2-3 i wore regular sized pads. If you're planning to have natural birth, I'd also really recommend a perineal bottle and a soothing spray(eg earth mama or witch hazel spray from iherb). Pee can really irritate the vaginal area and stitches, flushing the area with water during and after peeing really helped me manage the discomfort.

Read more
4y ago

Thank u!!

It really depends on how often you would change. I was more particular as I wanted to keep my stitches clean as possible and had used the balance pack from the hospital, and 2 packs of Laurier 40cm pads (i think these were normal pads, just longer).

4y ago

Thank u!!

Super Mum

I got the kotex overnight panties which were a lifesaver as I was in pain and it's difficult to bend down to change the pad so the panties are so much easier to change and also not leaky. Highly recommend.

4y ago

Thank u!!

VIP Member

I used the adult diapers hahahah.. nvr regretted. Unglam af but serves its purpose. Its like oversized kotex overnight panties, didnt have to worry abt leakage at all.

4y ago

Thank u!!

TapFluencer

depend on individual I use kotex panties pad so convenient and only use for first 5 day and change to normal pad extra long pad

4y ago

Thank u!!

VIP Member

Kotex overnight pads worked for me. For convenience disposable panties are better but must get the right size(:

4y ago

Thank u!!

2 pkts of maternity pads. estimate 20 to 30pcs for first 2 weeks

4y ago

Thank u!!

VIP Member

Kotex overnight panties the best 👌

4y ago

Thank u!!

VIP Member

At least 20 pieces for the first week

4y ago