Ranting

My mil scolded my daughter 'ka poh ji' in hokkien. I find this words offending.. whats your take?

14 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

u mean curious devil? maybe ur daughter did something wrong that makes the grandma call her that, u should ask ur daughter first about the matter, if she did wrong ask her to apologize, then u can tell ur mil not to call u child devil

Ya I agree it depends on tone. Ji means ‘sister’ in my hokkian. So kaypoh sister seems more like of an affectionate calling for me. It’s ok to be offended, just talk to your mil about it rather than furthering misunderstanding.

For me “kaypoh” is still ok, cos it means busybody and she might be very frustrated that’s why she said that, but “ji” refers the girl private part and is rather crude so I’d be unhappy about it.

Best to talk to your husband and see how he can better manage this by letting your mil know not to use such words as kids can also pick it up easily. Plus it doesn’t sound nice.

Hi, I think you should definitely talk to your MIL along with your husband about this as these kind of conversations should be avoided with kids

VIP Member

I definitely not allow any 3rd person to scold him , if anything he done I ask them to just let me know before cane or say something..

TapFluencer

Is it in a joking tone? My grandparents always call my baby that I find it OK cos there are joking.

Not sure what it means, but if you find it offending, better have a chat with her or your hubby.

VIP Member

Do speak to your husband about it or tell your mil nicely not to use such words(:

VIP Member

I googled that and cant find what it means. In this case, ignorance is bliss.