Breastfeeding

My LO is now 3 weeks old. I always try to latch him as much as possible Everyday. My mum will bottle feed him when I am asleep (5am - 10am /11am usually) as I took the midnight shift . I always wake up very engorge. Then I will latch him the first thing after I woke up. I need that few hours sleep as I find it hard to slp when my baby slp as I Nd to let my mum rest too. I have enough milk supply. By using haakaa, I usually get around 60ml -120ml per latching, and my LO is currently on half bm and fm due to jaundice. 1. Will this routine lessen my supply? 2. Is it that I have to follow strictly with the ‘pump every 2 hours ‘ advise that I see on every article? 3. Do u all pump every two hours on schedule even during sleeping time?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Seems like you have plenty of supply so no need to pump every 2 hours! Especially if you latch baby there's no need to pump at all, pump only as a replacement for baby's meal. Sleep is definitely more important, though you should be careful not to let it get too engorged or you might develop mastitis which is not fun. I think sleeping 4-5 hours in one go is fine, but if you sleep longer than that you will need to wake up, pump or latch then go back to sleep.

Read more
TapFluencer

Will suggest you to pump or latch 2 to 3 hourly first. Until your milk have stable. Any dragging at this point will lead to Engorment or even Mastitis. Its from my experience. I understand its very tiring and torturing. You just need to endure awhile more. Slowly you can pump lesser time a day. I start to drop pump when my baby is 3 month old.

Read more