Breastfeeding

My LO is now 3 weeks old. I always try to latch him as much as possible Everyday. My mum will bottle feed him when I am asleep (5am - 10am /11am usually) as I took the midnight shift . I always wake up very engorge. Then I will latch him the first thing after I woke up. I need that few hours sleep as I find it hard to slp when my baby slp as I Nd to let my mum rest too. I have enough milk supply. By using haakaa, I usually get around 60ml -120ml per latching, and my LO is currently on half bm and fm due to jaundice. 1. Will this routine lessen my supply? 2. Is it that I have to follow strictly with the ‘pump every 2 hours ‘ advise that I see on every article? 3. Do u all pump every two hours on schedule even during sleeping time?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Seems like you have plenty of supply so no need to pump every 2 hours! Especially if you latch baby there's no need to pump at all, pump only as a replacement for baby's meal. Sleep is definitely more important, though you should be careful not to let it get too engorged or you might develop mastitis which is not fun. I think sleeping 4-5 hours in one go is fine, but if you sleep longer than that you will need to wake up, pump or latch then go back to sleep.

Read more