My kid has this habit of biting his nails. How can I correct this habit of his?

17 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yes, nagging or punishing about this could actually have the opposite result. However, my elder one suffered a major infection as a result of constant nail biting, to the point that we almost had to get her operated. For my younger one who was also picking up the habit, I did a quick visit to the doc where he pointed out that biting nails could mean cutting off the tips (I know it sounds cruel, but we had to avoid any infection). Each time my younger one tried doing it, I would remind about the doc and it stopped permanently :)

Read more

My 5yr old son don't do this but my husband does! :) Nail biting is one of the most common childhood habits. I believe understanding this behavior by talking to your kid, asking questions like - is he/she is aware or conscious when his biting his nails? what does he/she feels if he/she does that? if he like or don't like it? why? in general, understand why his doing that habit and let him understand the consequences (in the future) if he continues doing that.

Read more

The funny part is even I had a habit of nail biting when I was a child. My mom tried a lot of options. But it was something that went off with the time. Try to understand why your kid is biting his nails. Is he nervous about something? Or it just happens unconsciously? Try observing his patterns and the situations when he bites nails. It would help you understand his state of mind. Don't keep nagging about it :)

Read more

I put plaster on my child ten fingers... the sticky part excluding the white cushion part... I cut into ten mini strips and paste on the fingers... as the sticky part is quite sticky on the nails and hence will not drop off easily... since the colours are very vibrant (use kids plaster) hence easily catch the attention and rem not to bite... it works the teacher said... hee hee

Read more

Hi, kids tend to bite their nails owing to various reasons, such as stress, anxiety, comfort or boredom. Sometime your child doesn't even know he's biting his nail -- it tends to be unconscious. So don't nag or punish him, rather, talk to your child to know why he has this habit. Try to discuss with him and eliminate the cause.

Read more

A very common habit among children . Unfortunately my little 1 has the same habit. We tried applying tumeric on her fingers but it did no good.Finally we told her that if she continues to put her fingers in her mouth we will cut them off!!! But don't worry too much. He will eventually stop.

He/she is probably doing it because they are anxious or nervous. Check out this article for tips - https://sg.theasianparent.com/trick-your-child-to-stop-nail-biting.

You need to check does his nails are bigger, if yes pls cut it regularly. Also nail biting is also a way to thinking so pls check what the kid always thinks.

I would put anti nail bite or ask him focus his nervousness into something else But it may be a deeper problem Is he worried about something

each time u point out to him that he's biting nails, it will encourage him to do so more. he will grow out of it. don't worry excessively.