Cheating Husband who makes less money than me

Just found out my husband of 8 years has been cheating on me. I'm devastated but more concerned for the kids - they are 3 and 5, and from every study I have read, divorce is one of the worst things that can happen to a child. I can't bear to do this to them but at the same time, I'm not sure I can ever forgive my husband. I am not financially dependent on him (I actually make more money than him). He is still a great father...I really don't know what to do. Please help.

30 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My close friend of 30 years found out that her husband of 10 years cheated on her. They have two kids, age 4 and 1...and another one coming in Dec. To me, the man committed the adultery in a scenario where I felt that no room for forgiveness should be given. He slept with a woman at my friend's place while my friend was hospitalised. Total jerk!!! And when he begged my friend for forgiveness, he even told my friend that he cannot let go of the other woman immediately, for fear that she will commit suicide. What kind of atrocious reason was that! My friend chose to forgive him eventually as she was not financially stable. However, she became very paranoid over the slightest thing and deep in her heart, the thorn is still pricking her badly and she was unhappy. Things got more complicated when she got pregnant with the 3rd child. She became even less confident to leave him. Marriage counseling doesn't work as the man refused to go. My friend doesn't have much family support. So she chose to stay in an unhappy marriage, though her Facebook updates portray only the happy images to those who are not as close to her. I think what's holding her back in this marriage is the fact that she doesn't have the confidence to bring up her kids since she is not financially independent. In your case, since money is probably not an issue, I'll suggest that you leave him unless you think you are ready able to move on from the cheating incident. There is really no point hanging in to a marriage where there is no trust. Hope you can get some kind of non-monetary support from your family.

Read more