Just to share my struggles .. I'm a SAHM ever since my baby Is born . He is now 8 months old . I quitted my job to be a SAHM cos I have no other help . Mil and mom not in good health . However , I really struggle being a SAHM.. Don't get me wrong , I really enjoy the bonding time with my baby , witnessing his milestones .. But I struggle becos my husband often work till quite late n I'm alone with baby most of the time till he comes home. I bring baby with me to run errands like grocery shopping etc. but I can't bring baby with me if I need to go to the salon, go for my dental appointment etc.. Not so convenient .. I've been postponing my dental appointment etc cos weekends my husband though not working but he is not a hands on father , doesn't really wanna help me with baby . I have nobody else to approach . Feel so alone . Any SAHM with same situation as me?

19 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi mummy, you are not alone. I have been a sahm for 3 years. It is tough that we do not have extra help from family members. However, practices make perfect. I realised it was very upset and tough in the beginning where I just quitted my job, i.e. no own pocket money, loaded with housework, facing my kids alone at home, no personal time. However, as time goes by, I am more hands on when bringing kids (toddler and baby) out alone. Normally, I will use baby carrier which helps me a lot. My husband was posted to China for work for 1 year in 2013 when my son just turned 2 months old. It was the toughest period for me to deal with emotional and kids alone. I am glad that I joined some mummies chat group in whatsapp and facebook (e.g. west group mummies support group) and their supports and comforts helped me to pull through my lonely and tough period. E.g. sometimes I park my kids at one of the mummies' house when I really can't bring my kids alone. Also, neighbors' help will be another plus point if you have any. As for the husband's help in the house, you can discuss with your husband about what you feel and what are the things that you wish him to help in, e.g. housework and taking care of baby. For my husband, he is not a hands-on daddy to start with. I slowly let him handle 1 kid alone like 30mins and extend the duration. After years, he becomes more hands-on and can play with kids very well. Also, you can try to let your husband to tuck your baby to sleep at night and I feel it helps in the bonding with baby, e.g. bedtime story, bedtime songs and etc.

Read more