JTR: When we had our no1, hubby was so hands off and jus buried himself in work. So whenever his hands on friends shared about taking care of their kids, hubby felt so paiseh(deep inside). Thus, no2 he said he wanna be a hands on dad. Ok sounds great right.(i thought so too) Sigh!!! Hubby has NEVER taken care of any baby neither kid before. No2 was his first time. The way he carried and pat no2, makes us(parents, family members including me!!!) worried. Whenever no2 cries, he will carry no2 shake and shake and shake, if not we feel he pat no2 kind of hard on the backside or shoulder. It seems rather rough to baby. Also, every single time he changed no2, he made a mess, either poo until pants and shirts, or poo until bed and cot. We tried to talk to hubby and tried to tell him what to do but he was upset and unhappy about it. He told us he knows what he is doing dont need us to watch him and tell him what to do. He even said that because we are watching at him that caused him to make the blunder. Even my 15yo cousin also find the way hubby handles no2 abit rough. Night time hubby said he wanna look after no2, yet he fell aslp way earlier than any of us(10+ or 11+) and couldnt wake up to take care. A few times caught him falling aslp while feeding no2, worse is sometimes he was standing while feeding and almost "fell" when dozed off. I told him umpteenth times but he gets so personal and angry. He even got angry and irritated whenever no2 cries or even no1 whines. Right now he is having his paternal leaves, daytime mum and i were taking care of the two kids, while hubby either goes out or does his own work. One hand i wanted hubby to contribute more on taking care of kids, the other hand i get so worried seeing the way hubby handles them. If i say or tell hubby, he gets angry, don tell him he also wont change for the better. Arghhh!!! Feels so angry bout it!

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Give this man a beer. Even with all the negativity he still march on. Do you know your husband well enough? Do you know how he learn a new skill.. Some people need to be hands on and slowly figure the way out or watch other people doing. Criticism regardless the good intentions can be counter productive. All in all everyone learn differently..

Read more
VIP Member

Like you said, he never hands on before. So this is considered new to him. He needs time to learn and change the method or posture he uses. Probably share w him nicely that the way he was handling baby is wrong or not healthy. You also don't want to offend him until he totally washes his hands off child care. Slowly mummy.

Read more
7y ago

We tried telling him nicely and taught him how to do it but he gets angry over it. Saying that why whatever he does also seem wrong, are we the expert to correct him, what is the standard procedure and benchmark to consider right or wrong. Ended up he always challenged us and ask if what we do are considered the right way.

VIP Member

🙄🙄🙄 sorry but i also rolled eyes for you. My husband is EXACTLY like yours. When he does something for one time, we have to be grateful and praise. When all along we are the one doing it, he think that it's Meant to be. We shld be doing it 🙄🙄🙄🙄

7y ago

Hahahaha!!! Yes yes yes! He will say "hey! Im helping you now ok, shldnt you be grateful about it and thank me? Even if you don wanna thank me, at least you don hav to say negative things to me right? Arghhh shouldnt have helped you at all" hahaha! 😂 sometimes i rather he doesnt help, cox i don hav to do extra work and feel so angry.

VIP Member

can see that your husband ego level is pretty high. refuse to believe own family members and only believe in googling stuffs. Honestly i can say just bite it through. Not easy to handle an egoistic husband. I have one too.

Read more
7y ago

Exactly! Cox he always challenged us by saying what makes us think our method and actions are right and what he does are wrong. Arghhh!!! And the way he does things i will go crazy seriously especially when changing poopoo. Messed up everything yet i cant say a word. He will even reply "shouldnt u appreciate what i have done? I changed the diapers, shouldnt u say thank you or say something nice/positive to appreciate me?" 🙄🙄🙄

Well. I was in your position. That's why I don't bother asking my husband to be hands on UNTIL my kids are old enough to walk. so it's easier to manage. Maybe for now, just bite thru and hang in there?

7y ago

I don intend to get hubby to help. Cox ultimately i feel he gives more problems than helping out. Eg: he wanna change lo when poo, end up shirt and pants including the new diaper also stained with poo. How would u feel? Cant even say anything at hubby. If you don let him do whatever he wants(change diaper, feeding, etc) he gets angry about it. Feeling so vexed about it!!!

If change diapers n he caused a mess, get him to clean up the mess himself. When he realised that he created more mess n more jobs for himself he will find more effective ways to do it

7y ago

Err he did clean, but the cleaning is a mess itself also. And he doesnt feel anything wrong bout it. Washing nt done by him also.

Get him to join ParentTown - and we can give him advice here Loh. I made my hubby get on ParentTown and it's really helped!

7y ago

To him its a waste of time, he rather believe in searching google or reading books. I told him before.

Maybe ask the PD or go to a class on how to take care of bb tgt?

Google and watch family shows together!!