I've heard that glass bottles are better than plastic bottles. But won't glass bottles be a risk to the baby if he or she drops it while feeding?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

The main problem with plastic baby bottles is that some of them are made with polycarbonate plastic. Polycarbonate plastic is now known to leach a compound called bisphenol A, or BPA, a chemical that may cause developmental hormonal disruptions in young children as it mimics estrogen in the body. By nature, glass is free of BPA. Glass is also easy to clean, and can be easily sterilized in boiling water. These days, baby bottles are made of tempered glass, which is harder to break than regular glass. Glass bottles last longer and can also be recycled more readily than plastic baby bottles. Despite all that, glass baby bottles, even tempered ones, will break if not careful. Glass is also heavier than plastic, making baby bottles more prone to be dropped and able to cause more damage when thrown. Glass bottles are also more expensive than plastic bottles. I would suggest you look for plastic bottles that are BPA free. Newer baby bottles in the market these days are made from BPA-free plastics, such as polypropelyne and are labeled as such. http://www.livestrong.com/article/167283-plastic-vs-glass-baby-bottles/

Read more

This is quite debatable and both have their pros and cons. Sometimes the fear of chemicals make one switch to glass, but as you rightly mentioned, it’s difficult for a baby to handle weight and not drop it accidentally. You can make a choice with whatever suits. For older kids might support glass, but for younger ones the BPA free plastic bottles work perfectly

Read more

I purchased one glass bottle for my baby but I do not like it as extra cautions must be taken when clean it. Also, it is quite heavy for adult and baby to hold it. In the end I switched back to BPA free bottle, NUK brand.

VIP Member

hi, lass bottles are healthier but plastic bottles are more practical n easy to use...just ensure ur using good quality feeding bottles and keep changing the bottles every 3 months

thanks