Opinions On Baby's Age For BF

Hi, I've been watching Youtube on mothers' breastfeeding their baby, and came across a video of a mom breastfeeding her child which is a 6 years old girl. The oldest I heard was this mother still breastfeeding her Primary 1 kid. I know breast milk is healthy, but what are your opinions on how old your baby should stop breastfeeding and must drink from a cup or bottle instead?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

I think each mummy and child can decide on that. It’s a huge commitment to breastfeed for so many years. At the end of the day, as long as nobody’s harmed or stressed out by the decision of direct latching vs bottle vs cup, it’s fine:) For my first child, I set a target of 6 months, but in the end weaned her off latching at 10 months, and had enough stored bm till she was 1 year old. For my second child, my target is 12 months, but we’ll see where this goes (she’s 5 months now). Both of them were also trained to drink from the bottle by 4 months old, so my husband could help with some feeds.

Read more
4y ago

If you keep up the supply, it’ll stay. But by then, the kid would be eating meals and snacks, and only sucking occasionally. So there won’t be a lot of milk.

VIP Member

Personal preference. After 1 yr old, milk is not as essential. Most mums I know switch to formula or fresh milk between 1 to 2 yrs old.

VIP Member

I think everyone should respect the mother’s wish . Be it to breastfeed for only 1 month or even 7 years.

No limit in age la Maybe 3/4 onwards cup I breast fed for 24 months and had storage for 6 months

Read more
VIP Member

I think there's no age limit. As long as mother and baby wanted to and they are healthy, it's ok!

VIP Member

depends on the mummy ba. if she's okie with it, then why not 😅 but tiring uh..

VIP Member

As long as both mummy and kid want